Swelling and Pain Increasing in the Foot
lala0 posted:
A week ago, my husband (he is mid 20s) woke up with swelling and pain in his left foot. There is nothing that he did to cause this. The swelling continues in his entire foot (including his toes) and he has an especially red inflamed spot on the top/inner side of his foot (near the big toe joint) that is growing bigger constantly. There is now some (3) small dark blue spots in the red area near the center. The pain is becoming worse (excruciating) and the redness is spreading across the top of his foot. He has pain to the touch around the ball joint of his big toe. It is hard to walk for him because it is so excruciating to put any weight on it. X rays showed no broken bones. He has been on anti-inflammatory Piroxacam that didn't seem to do anything and now he just started Indomethacin last night and is to take it 3 times a day. We do have brown recluses that we have found occasionally in the house... The pain is getting increasingly worse. The swelling is getting increasingly worse as well. He has been staying off of it and having it elevated at night. He was given a walking shoe.

Any ideas what this may be????????

Emitot responded:
possible acute infection?but REALLY needing Emergency medical help.Try A&E be persistent

poopiepants1 responded:
Initially it sounds like a spider bite. I have been bit twice by spiders when I lived in Oklahoma and they were extremely painful, spread very quickly, and can do some major perman. damage.

My problem ended up being an arterial blood clot that stopped the blood flow to my lower extremities and killed more than half of my colon and appendix. I found out the hard way (only way) and spent over a week in the hospital after showing up in the emergency room with pain far worse than child birth. I had emergency major surgery where the doctor took out all of my organs to be inspected for more blood clots and neucrosis (sp?). they cut a lot out sewed up the inside, and stapled me up.

It sounds like you need to get a second opinion, either from a podiatrist, the emergency room, or another general practitioner. Remember to to listen to your instincts, they are extremely important. Write down all questions and how the medication has helped or not, before you go to the doctor so that you don't forget anything.

Good luck, and don't stop until you are satisfied.

God bless!

shadowsmom42 responded:
We live out in the dairy preserve area of Chino, CA, so we have a TON of spiders here. Everything you've described sounds EXACTLY like a spider bite. By the way, Indomethacin is just another NSAID like Piroxicam. That's it. It will not help much for a spider bite except, in hopes, of getting swelling down. He needs an antibiotic right away (doctors should have known this, should have given him AB's, along with the anti-inflammatory) if not an IV of antibiotics. The way you've described what his foot looks like, describes the same way my husbands foot looked when he was bit by a spider! And we can't necessarily find the spot we were bit at, either. A lot of doctors will say, "Well, I can't find any spot that tells me you were bit by anything.". That is a crock. Especially if it's swollen the way you've described it, red, warm, etc., etc.......it makes it that much harder to find a bite mark.
I suggest you get a bit 'pushy' with these doctors, find a second opinion if necessary ( and NOT in the same medical group as these doctors will always agree with their colleagues), and make it clear to them that you do have violin spiders (aka: brown recluse) AND black widows, etc., etc.. I'm thinking it's one or the other. A brown recluse bite, though, is worse than a black widow, leaving you with fevers, excruciating pain and wishing you were dead.
Please, if his foot is still the same today, get him to a doctor ASAP. I know I have not seen the foot at all, but what you describe tells me there just might be an infection.
Good luck and please keep us all posted.
Terry

lala0 responded:
First off, I want to thank you all for your responses! On Monday he woke up and was significantly less swollen. His foot is still red, but less red.

We ruled out the spider bite pretty much because he is not feverish and no longer getting progressively worse. The blood work he had looked normal (so no infection.)

While we are not sure exactly what caused it, the podiatrist thinks he must have injured the joint during exercise. Apparently, your big toes should have a 50 degree range of motion up (so if your feet are flat on the ground, it should be able to bend your toe up.) However, my husband has 0 degree range of motion because of the multiple breaks he has had in the past.

Again, thank you all for caring so much to respond! I pray that he continues to get better (and quickly). The pain, while still present is less severe, so he seems to be on the mend!