Skip to content
Hip Bursitis
zykan posted:
Wondering if anyone has experience this. 1 1/2 years ago I had a hard fall on my right hip....Have had pain in that area, and also down the right leg ever since. Have tried Ibuprofen, physical therapy. but no better. The worst pain is up and down steps, getting in and out of car, or just standing up from a sitting position. Are these all symptoms of inflammation in the bursa....and wondering now about "removal" of the bursa. Would appreciate any comments please.

shadowsmom42 responded:
I'm almost 48 years of age now, female, and I've been dealing with bursitis for many, many years. BursITIS is an inflammation of the bursa, you are correct, as ITIS means inflammation of....
With that said, ibuprofen, aspirin.....any of the NSAIDS may help, if you do not have a history of ulcers or any stomach problems at all. If that does not help with the pain, and after most OTC medications have been tried, doctors will then try prescription medications, also usually NSAIDS. After that, the next step, depending on the doctor, would be NSAIDS combined with a possible narcotic pain reliever such as Vicodin. Next step would be sending you to either pain management or a D.O. to get an injection of steroids directly into the bursa. I went through this for a few years, not only for my bursa, but my entire low back as well. I can honestly say that they did very little for me, maybe taking SOME of the edge off. Other than that (oh, you can try icing it, too), not much to do. You do not want to remove the bursa and I don't know too many doctors willing to do that unless the bursa is completely shot. Even then, I'm not too sure about removing/replacing the bursa.
So, try the above.....NSAIDS, acetaminophen (which will only take some pain away, not inflammation as acetaminophen is NOT an anti-inflammatory), icing the bursa area, then moving on to either pain mgmt or a D.O. who can try steroid injections into the bursa. (This can take some time if you have an HMO, lol)
I can totally relate to not being able to walk up stairs and trying to get up after even just short periods of sitting. Also, bumping the bursa area up against something???.....I DON'T RECOMMEND IT, hahahaha.....it hurts, LOL.
Take care of yourself. I hope this helped you out some.

Olivia_WebMD_Staff responded:
Welcome, zykan!

Here is some information on hip problems that may help guide you. However, the only way to know exactly what is causing your pain is to see your own physician in person.

While you're waiting, I'd recommend posting to the members and expert on our Osteoarthritis community for some further feedback.

Take care,
Olivia

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.