Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Severe pain following Lumbar MRI without contrast
cowgrl57 posted:
I am hoping someone can help me with this. I had an MRI about three weeks ago because I have a severe burst fracture of L2 with a large piece tipping into the anterior spinal canal. Over the past month, my injury was 5/6/12, the compression of the disc has gone from 30% at initial injury with a 15% angle to a successive 49% and a 19% angle followed by an assessment MRI on 5/26 which is static and another standing xray that shows a 59h compression and a 22% angle. Initially I had no nerve involvement, but as I Have laid flat in bed the past seven weeks, the compression increases, te angle increases and last week there began symptoms of sciatic burning both legs, more right than left and a going to sleep numbing feeling from my waist to the mid thigh on the right and top 1/3 of thigh on the left. So about 5 hours ago, today 6/19 I had another MRI to check nerve involvement or spinal cord damage. By the time the second series of transitions were happening I had an incredible increase in pain in the area of the fracture all the way to the tailbone. For the entire 30 minutes this continued, I felt as if my back had just been pummeled or beaten so hard. I am hurting so bad with pain levels through the roof. Take a pain pill you might say....easier said than done..I am allergic to almost all pain medication so I am practicing breathing and counting forward and backward to try to bring the levels down. On xray, there has been absolutely no healing over the last 7 weeks, just more settling of fragments. I have never had an MRI hurt me, but this one did greatly and I am told they don't Can anyone help me with this?????? At least some type of explanation?????

dianes1925 responded:
After my back operation and till this day I still feel pain when taking an mri, and I have had many of them since 2008. My original operation failed it was to be a laminectomy L3/l4 and a partial discectomy on my l5. Unfortunately either there was a nick or fragments left behind because I developed a tear in my spinal cord the next day at home and was back in ER at the next day spewing spinal fluid by the had towel full very quickly with the worst headache in the world, they didn't fix it till 5 more days later and it cause severe neurological damage. My question to you is you state that you have bone fragements still near your spinal cord. Are you dealing with a Neurosurgeon or an orthopedic surgeon. I beg you to see a neurosurgeon if you have been dealing with a othopedic... I went with an ortho and now have Arachnoiditis which is a very rare disease when your spinal cord is compromised with any other fluid than spinal cord fluid, even just a drop of blood can cause it. Now my brain and inner organs stomach bowel no longer gets signals that it should to work. And the same with my legs, they have me on morphine and it doesn't work any more for the pain and all the other meds are doing a number on my liver and kidneys. Get in touch with a lawyer asap also..

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.