Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bloodwork for 4 1/2 year old
Anon_183567 posted:
In April my 4 1/2 year old had to full blood work for her Neurologist in additional to other neurological testing. She has severe mental retardation due to a rare brain defect. The neurological testing came out normal (well, normal for my daughter considering her brain issues). The blood work came out strange. Her White Blood Count was low and her Gluclose was high. Her blood testing was first thing in the morning, before she had time to eat breakfast. I know eating can increase gluclose levels, since she didn't eat I'm not sure why its high. To my knowledge she doesn't have diabetes, but type 2 diabetes does run on both my side and her dad's side of the family. Is it possible she could have diabetes and not know it. (She doesn't speak so any symptoms, complciations, etc of diabetes I wouldn't know since she cannot say.) Also she was not sick with a cold or flu when the blood work was done (which might explain the low white blood cell count) so again, not sure why this is so. If she is sick with anything else I wouldn't know.

She has had issues with her brain since the womb and has really only been seen by a Neurologist. This is a new Neurologist and no other Neurologist or her pediatrician has ever called for full blood work. The only time she's had blood drawn was for genetics testing. Part of the neurlogical testings she recently had was done becuase the new Neurologist thought she might have a brain tumor (no tumor). Are there any other reasons why gluclose levels would be high, white blood count would be low? Her new Neurologist suggested I take her back to her pediatrician to look over the blood work results and to give the pediatrician the neurlogical testing results as well. She has an appointment on Friday.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
I think your best bet is to try not to worry and wait to see what the pediatrician has to say. You might want to ask the pediatrician's office if they want additional blood work before her appointment - and if it should be fasting or not. And be sure to take notes! I know that when I'm in the doctors office, it's often hard to concentrate.

Once you get a diagnosis, be sure to visit the WebMD Parenting Community if you have more questions about diagnosis and treatment. Our expert, Dr. Benaroch , is great!

Best to you and your daughter!

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.