Skip to content
anesthesia for endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery
sgreenc posted:
just had endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery w/ a bier block. having the block done was very painful. the doctor wrapped my arm in plastic to the elbow, squeezed my arm, applied a tourniquet, injected an anesthetic in my to be operated arm, and then my arm went numb. it was extremely painful...then, and only then did they give me some medication in my other arm iv and i fell asleep. is this usual to have the block while totally awake? if so, i probably won't have the other wrist done as planned. it was so painful to get the bier block. what do you think?

shadowsmom42 responded:
My husband and I both had this procedure. (I've had many, many surgeries...yes.) Anyhow, my husband chose to have it done the way you did....with what's called 'twilight sleep' (Versed) but my husband was pretty much awake the whole time. He was given just enough Versed to relax him and dose off and on.
I chose to use general anesthesia. Do NOT be afraid to ask for general anesthesia if you want it. If you need the other side done, just ask your doctor to do general anesthesia then. If he/she refuses, then I'd find another surgeon. I have always believed that the choice to use general or local anesthesia should be left up to the patient, not the doctor, unless there are medical reasons as to why you can NOT have general. I've been very fortunate to have doctors that have always left the choice up to me. I do understand though, that a lot of people do NOT want to go under general. That's OK, too. In the end, you need to way the pros and cons yourself. If the 'local' and just a tiny bit of 'twilight sleep' wasn't enough, you might want general next time....if your doctor will do it.
(It's the anesthesiologist you need to talk to, by the way. Tell the anesthesiologist to sedate you before the block is started.)
Hope this helps you some. Take care!

sgreenc replied to shadowsmom42's response:
Thanks for responding. I have no problem w/ my choice of regional/local anesthetic. What I didn't say was that the doctor was 2 hours late starting and he did not give the anesthesiologist time to give me anything during the block. I think that he was rushing and didn't want to wait. So, I will tell him my thoughts at the postop visit and cancel my appt w/ HIM to have the other side done.

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.