Skip to content
Pertussis increase in the U. S.
Cranberrymore posted:
I see on the news that pertussis (whooping cough) has MANY new cases. I am 65. I had a shot when I was young. I also HAD pertussis when I was four years old. Does this give me immunity? Or do I need a bhooster shot also?
BTW, my niece died many years ago after having her DPT shot. Why? Because she was born with spial bifida, and it caused her to go into siezure. She was unconscious long enough that by the time her parents found her, and then she was hospitalized, that after a few days they had to take her off life support. They were told that people with nerve problems should had the DT
shot without the pertussis included.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Cranberry,

I'm so sorry to hear about your niece.

Be sure to discuss your own immunity with your medical provider and consider whether you have regular contact with young children, as they are the ones most vulnerable. Read the following WebMD article for information:

CDC: Whooping Cough Heading to a 5-Decade High

If you still have questions, I encourage you to repost your message and questions on our Parenting Community ; the expert there may be able to address your questions.

oldtiff47 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Two years ago this Grammy&Gramps got our vacs....I have been hearing about this for that long. All should get new vacs, they do not last for every

TIFF
DON'T TAKE YOUR ORGANS TO HEAVEN...HEAVEN KNOWS WE NEED THEM HERE !!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.