Mysterious Lump on Lower Right back
An_246787 posted:
My doctor thinks I've let nursing school go to my head, basically "thinking zebras when I hear hoof beats instead of horses" so I've gotten to where I feel too embarrassed to ask her anything. But maybe someone out there knows what this could be:

About two months ago, I noticed a lump in my right lower back, a little over an inch from my spine. It does not hurt, and it seems to be relatively hard. It has not changed in size. It is hard to tell if it is mobile or not because it is in a somewhat fatty area. I have experienced some weakness and tingling in my lower extremities, particularly my inner thighs. I have also had cramps that come and go, and sometimes it hurts so bad I do not want to move for a few minutes. They tingling and cramps could have nothing to do with it, since I have noticed an increase in those since I got the mirena at the end of november. I am relatively healthy. I did notice an enlarged posterior cervical lymph node around the same time I noticed the lump. Went to a doctor about that and was told after several visits that it was changing in size so was more than likely due to an infection. It is still swollen, but I have also aggravated it by palpatating it, constantly. I did not ask the doctor about the lower back lump at the time, but now I'm wondering if it could be cause for concern?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Please do not feel too embarrassed to ask your doctor - as you should know from your training, that's what they are for!

There's no way to diagnose over the internet so I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor - or a new doctor if you feel that you are not getting the healthcare and attention you deserve.

Here is an article from the WebMD Skin Problems Center that might give you additional information to share with your doctor: Cysts, Lumps, Bumps, and Your Skin

Make an appointment before the weekend so you can relieve some of your worry!

Haylen

An_246787 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for responding. She has been my doctor since a teen, and through my pregnancies. I think I may go to a different doctor just to get a new opinion. I do not think it is a cancerous growth, as I have none of the typical B symptoms common with the cancers I have been looking up. It also could have been there since my youngest was born 9 months ago, I just never thought to "look out" for bumps and lumps until I found that swollen node. I'm wondering if it could be a result of trauma from delivering my youngest? Hmm, anyway I plan on visiting the dr. on Monday, of course I don't have insurance but hopefully the sliding scale will reduce the costs, and piece of mind is priceless.

shadowsmom42 replied to An_246787's response:
I had something very similar to what you described but it was on my neck, something everybody would stare at when talking to me. It was about an inch and a half below my right ear lobe, about 2 cm. in size. Because it was causing nerve type pain when I would wash and run my hand over it (and if anybody has had nerve pain, they know how bad it feels, like electricity for me shooting up into my head, LOL.) I finally broke down and asked my doctor to refer me to a general surgeon. It was removed and biopsied and turned out to be a benign lipoma (NOT lymphoma. Big difference as those of us that have some medical knowledge know.). The reason it was causing pain is because it was growing up against a nerve, but not in the nerve. Lipomas, themselves, are usually painless unless they're pressing on a nerve like mine was.
Don't ever be too embarrassed to ask your doctor a question or have her/him take a look at something you have a question about, please...
I can laugh WITH you when you said, "My doctor thinks I've let nursing school go to my head, basically "thinking zebras when I hear hoof beats instead of horses" .....I have had the same doctor for over 12 years now. She is the type that you can joke around with, ask how she is doing, ask how her family is, what they did on their vacation, etc., etc.. She can also be very firm with you when needed, if needed. She has a fantastic 'bedside manner', the type of doctor I really like having. But she knows I have medical background, as well, so when I go in and start opening my mouth, LOL, she will roll her eyes in that joking way and smile or laugh and then agree with me a lot of the time. (Those of us with some type of medical background/knowledge can be the biggest 'pain in the butt' sometimes, depending on the doctor we have, but do not let that keep you from asking questions or anything at all.)
I hope all works out well for you. Good luck on Monday and if you can/want, give us an update when you can.
Take care......

buckamite replied to shadowsmom42's response:
So I'm pretty much tied up at work and won't be able to take any time off until next week. I hate that I've had it for 2 months and haven't done anything about it, but then again, it's not hurting too bad so I think I'll be okay to wait until next week. I will update when I can!

buckamite replied to buckamite's response:
I finally made it in to my doctor. She felt it and immediately said it was a lipoma. She said that it is fairly common, and that it is basically a benign fatty tumor. It is located closest to my sciatic nerve, so in a few years it may grow to the point where it is compressing on that, and that I may want surgery at that point to remove it if it does or if I consider it unsightly, but for now, it's just there. Thought I would update everyone! Thanks for answering my post!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to buckamite's response:
Thanks for the update, Buckamite! I'm glad you finally made it to the doctor and that it was diagnosed as a lipoma. As you said, it's very common.