Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
CHILDREN AND ANEURYSMS
Lizinjax posted:
AFTER REVIEWING ALL THE INFO IN THIS ARTICLE I BELIEVE I HAVE TO SHARE MY STORY.
I'M IN THE BEGINING STAGES OF STARTING A NON-PROFIT FUND RAISING ORGANIZATION.
IN 1993 MY SON, NICK, A VERY HEALTHY, BRIGHT AND SWEET GIVING BOY (8 1/2 YEARS OLD) HAD A HEADACHE ON 10/4/1993. I GAVE HIM SOME TYLENOL AND HE FELT MUCH BETTER AND DREW SOME WONDERFUL PICTURES. HE WENT TO BED AS ALWAYS; HE SHARED A ROOM WITH HIS YOUNGER BROTHER MIKE. THE NEXT MORNING HIS BROTHER MIKE, WHO WAS 6 AT THE TIME, WOKE ME UP AND TOLD ME HE COULDN'T WAKE UP NICK. MY NIGHTMARE AND HEARTBREAK BEGAN WHEN I FOUND HIM IN BED BUT IN A POSITION THAT LOOKED LIKE HE HAD TRIED TO GET UP AND THEN FELL BACK ON HIS BED. HE WAS COLD TO THE TOUCH AND NOT BREATHING. I CALLED 911 AND ATTEMPTED CPR. THE PARAMEDICS CAME AND SAID HE WAS DOWN APPROXIMATLY 2 HOURS. TO MAKE A LONG STORY AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE THEY DID AN AUTOPSY THAT DAY. I RECEIVED A CALL AT 3PM REGARDING THE CAUSE OF DEATH. IT WAS A BERRY ANEURYYSM. UNFORTUNATLY I RECEIVED AN EDUCATION REGARDING THAT TYPE OF ANEURYSM. FOR YEARS I WANTED TO FORM AN ORGANIZATION TO RAISE FUNDS NOT ONLY FOR RESEARCH, BUT PREVENTION AND EARLY DETECTION. IT'S VERY RARE FOR A CHILD TO DIE DUE TO AN ANEURYSM. SO DETECTION AND PREVENTION COULD HAVE SAVED HIS LIFE IF WE HAD ROUTINE MRI'S AT CHILDBIRTH, FOR EXAMPLE. IF I COULD HELP EVEN ONE OTHER CHILD AND THEIR PARENTS FROM THIS PAIN AND HEARTACHE I WOULD FEEL THE FIGHT IS WORTH IT

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Lizinjax,

I am so sorry for your terrible loss and wish you and your family much healing as you work towards your goal.

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
4 of 4 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.