Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
odd coloring of gums?
Anon_64169 posted:
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure where I should post this, as I can't find a dental community.

A few months back, I went to see the dentist, and they said I had early stages of periodontal disease, it was early enough to be corrected through brushing and flossing.

I've been trying to get in brushing at least once a day (though, there's been a day or two where I might forget), but I'm still pretty poor at getting a good schedule for flossing in.

Anyhow, I felt something like a bruise on my gums with my tongue, when I went to investigate, I noticed the unattached gingava (Think that's what it's called. The part that's closer to my lips than my teeth) being a darker color (a bruise-like color) than the attached gingav (which is pink).

Anyone know what the cause of this is? Should I make an appointment for my dentist to take a look?

Thanks!

shadowsmom42 responded:
YES, make an appointment and also, since you don't remember to brush and floss even once a day, I suggest setting your alarm on your clock or cell phone each day, twice a day, and start flossing and brushing. Sounds like you are further along than the dentist thought in the periodontal disease......possibly. If you are in the early stages, you CAN catch it and help reverse it by brushing and flossing.....but it has to be done twice a day, I would say.
I don't know what the 'bruise' thing might be....I'm guessing the beginnings of an infection...??
Please, get back in and see the dentist. I'm only 48 and already have partials. They're not cheap and I had to close out my savings account in order to get them. I'd hate to see you have to start going through the process of losing teeth as it is so costly. I should have treated my teeth like I do my car: PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE.......lol. Good luck......

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello,

I agree with Shadowsmom; be sure to make that appointment with your dentist.

And if you still have questions after that appointment, I encourage you to post on our Oral Health Community .

Anon_64169 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Howdy! Thanks for the advice.

I went in to visit the dentist this morning for them to take a look.

He said the main thing he noticed was a cankor sore (which I figure was what alerted me to the section in the first place), but that the gums looked normal and healthy. (Figured that was the case, but since they know mouths better than I, best to hear it from them. )

Plus, it gave me a chance to talk to them about getting a crown, and toothpaste selection.

All's well that ends well!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_64169's response:
Thanks for checking back in and "whew"!

Have a great weekend -

Haylen

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 8 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.