Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stringy stuff in mouth
An_246894 posted:
I have notice that afterr I brush my teeth in about 20 minutes, i can pull this stringy white stuff out of my mouth. It is slimy and I can feel it in my mouth. Any advice about what this is or how to get rid of it would be a great help.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome!

If this is an ongoing issue, be sure to discuss this with your dentist.

In the meantime, I encourage you to repost your message on our Oral Health Community .

feelT2 responded:
Think I know the Problem!For a while last year,I used A whitening Mouthwash-Not each time that I Brushed but 1-2Xs/wk and later this whitish stringy stuff would appear in my mouth-IF I took a kleenex & wiped the inside alog my cheeks- it would be covered with stuff.You probably noticed that after awhile it is not there-like you sais only after brushing teeth!You have changed to a new toothpaste???OR a different Mouthwash??? Something is new!!! AND GUESS WHAT??IT IS TOO STRONG FOR THE WALLS OF YOUR MOUTH & IT IS PEELING THEW SKIN OFF(IN STRINGY PCS) SOLUTION: GO BACK & LOOK AT WHAT WAS NEW(IN TEETH REGIME) WHEN THIS BEGAN & STOP IT. OR PAY ATTENTION_ only use TWICE a week and remember to watch for what happens when you use this particular mouthwash or toothpaste-then will know for sure!!!Nothing serious just too strong I bet for most people's mouths..Please let me know,Okay.Good Luck!!

karen021966 responded:
thank you for this advice but I havenot changed anything. toothpaste, mouthwash, and everything is the same. so i am still in need of help. thanks once again

Anon_178617 responded:
I had the same problem when using a whitening toothpaste. What worked for me is after brushing and rinsing my mouth, I would quickly brush my teeth again with just water, no toothpaste and I no longer had a problem with the 'stringy white stuff'.

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.