Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
stringy stuff in mouth
An_246894 posted:
I have notice that afterr I brush my teeth in about 20 minutes, i can pull this stringy white stuff out of my mouth. It is slimy and I can feel it in my mouth. Any advice about what this is or how to get rid of it would be a great help.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome!

If this is an ongoing issue, be sure to discuss this with your dentist.

In the meantime, I encourage you to repost your message on our Oral Health Community .

feelT2 responded:
Think I know the Problem!For a while last year,I used A whitening Mouthwash-Not each time that I Brushed but 1-2Xs/wk and later this whitish stringy stuff would appear in my mouth-IF I took a kleenex & wiped the inside alog my cheeks- it would be covered with stuff.You probably noticed that after awhile it is not there-like you sais only after brushing teeth!You have changed to a new toothpaste???OR a different Mouthwash??? Something is new!!! AND GUESS WHAT??IT IS TOO STRONG FOR THE WALLS OF YOUR MOUTH & IT IS PEELING THEW SKIN OFF(IN STRINGY PCS) SOLUTION: GO BACK & LOOK AT WHAT WAS NEW(IN TEETH REGIME) WHEN THIS BEGAN & STOP IT. OR PAY ATTENTION_ only use TWICE a week and remember to watch for what happens when you use this particular mouthwash or toothpaste-then will know for sure!!!Nothing serious just too strong I bet for most people's mouths..Please let me know,Okay.Good Luck!!

karen021966 responded:
thank you for this advice but I havenot changed anything. toothpaste, mouthwash, and everything is the same. so i am still in need of help. thanks once again

Anon_178617 responded:
I had the same problem when using a whitening toothpaste. What worked for me is after brushing and rinsing my mouth, I would quickly brush my teeth again with just water, no toothpaste and I no longer had a problem with the 'stringy white stuff'.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.