Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Right To Protect My Mother?
ThumbBotanist posted:
My mother (71) was hospitalized a few weeks ago and is currently in a nursing home for what seems to be an episode of severe depression (passively suicidal - refused food, water, medications) that I suspect was induced by excessive pain medication, possibly in combination with an anti-depressant and other medications. Her doctor seems to be avoiding any consideration that medications and his lack of oversight may have been a factor. My father is unconcerned and does not question the doctor. I get very little information as a result. I am told that I have no legal standing to intervene unless both my mother and father are declared incompetent. Is that true, and are there other avenues I can pursue to ensure my mother is being properly cared for?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and Welcome ThumbBotanist -

We can understand how frustrating this is for you and your family and we are so sorry that you are going through this.

Are you in the same city as your parents? Can you be there when your mom is examined? Can your mom change the paper work to include you as someone who can access her healthcare information?

Due to HIPPA laws the doctors and staff may not be able to talk with your regarding your mom's care. But many offices have forms that designate who can access your records and talk with doctors and staff about care. It may be as easy as asking for the form and having your mom include you.

She could also choose you as a Health Care Surrogate or Agent and complete a Medical Power of Attorney (if may be different in your state).

See this resource for more information -
Caregiving and Elder Care Directory

Please let us know if this is helpful and if you have additional questions that we can help with.

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.