Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Prolonged Fever ARNP little help
SylverStar13 posted:
Hi. I have had a fever since Saturday and a cough since last Friday. The fever started at 99.6 and has bounced up and down tonight it is the highest 102.6. I have also had very little appetite this whole week to. I've been trying to make myself eat without too much luck...my appetite was a little better today. I went to see the arnp at my doctor on Tues. She very briefly looked at my mouth and checked my lungs...and then stated I had a "little viral infection." I complained of serious headaches, cough, sore throat and prolonged fever. She told me I should be better in a couple of days if I get some rest and drink plenty of fluids. I've been drinking plenty of fluids but having difficulty getting rest. I've been taking codeine cough syrup (which I'm almost out of) and a Proair inhaler every 4hrs for symptoms. They seemed to be helping only a little bit. I've also been taking Ibuprofen for the headaches and fever. The nurse said to come back in on Tuesday if I still had symptoms or sooner if things got worse. I'm worried she overlooked something because I have never had a fever last this long and this is the first time I have been sick in 3 years. Though I have had more stressors lately...but I would really like to get back to work. Should I be concerned or should I just keep waiting it out.

Take the Poll

Should I wait till Tuesday and go back to my family health care center?
  • Yes, wait til Tuesday
  • You will feel better sooner than that
  • Go see someone else now
  • See someone else on tuesday
  • Go to the ER
vote
View Poll Results

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi SylverStar13 -

I'm so sorry to hear you are still feeling bad. Please call your doctor to let them know your symptoms are continuing and you are still having fevers. Hopefully they can see you today and get you feeling better.

For more response, please repost with our wonderful Ear, Nose and Throat Community

Also, enter your info into our Symptoms Checker for possible causes of fever, cough, sore throat and headaches.

Hope you are on the road to recovery very soon,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.