Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Medications and sweating
An_248288 posted:
I have been living with debilitating pain for the past 15 yrs. and my pain management team has me on 4 drugs .1) Effexor XR150 2) Adderol 10mg 3)Methadone 10mg 4)Ambien ER. Wifh in the past 8-10 months I can't help but notice that I sweat like a pig. I don't even have to move around and I'm sweating so profusely that beads of sweat are dripping off the ends of hair and its long. This sweat is not a 3-4min hot flash but I timed one day 5hrs27min straight that I was dripping and it just kept coming more and more and more. I'm exhausted all of the time , get cramps in every part of my body even my fingers, I can't get makeup on, edgey, short tempered and generally depressed over this whole thing. I'm 60 yrs young and finished with menopause years ago however these episodes feel like one continuous Hot Flash but I don't think it could be . Got to be the meds. Does anyone have any ideas of how to stop this . I'm suspecting the methadone and wondering if someone could give suggestions of another pain medicine that doesn't have these side effects. Please help! I'm miserable .

DoubleRainbows responded:
For just about every health problem, there is a natural alternative....such as vitamins, minerals, acupuncture, massage, etc.
You may have a thyroid problem now as doctors usually do not acknowledge thyroid problems as the root cause of a host of health problems.
If I were you, I would go to a trusted/reliable naturopath and get off the meds and go with natural therapies. Google naturopath's or iridologists in your area to find a reputable one.
Once you find out what is going on, if you can't afford to continue seeing a natural health care practitioner, at least you can do your own research as to what would work best for you and your health problems.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon and Welcome -

It certainly sounds like you have have been going through a lot. The pain is difficult enough without the added symptoms.

We have a wonderful community for you to network with others about medications, symptoms and most important, for support-

Pain Management Community

Please repost your concerns over there to connect with a great group of members and expert, Dr. Peter Abaci.

Take Care,
Elizabeth

Dtaat2 replied to DoubleRainbows's response:
Thank you do much for your reply. I think I'll find a naturalist and see what they have to say. I would much rather go that way anyway. Thanks

Dtaat2 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks Elizabeth. I will do that right now.

shadowsmom42 responded:
Hi there, (PLEASE READ)
I've also been dealing with severe, chronic pain since a 1992 car accident, as well (I take OxyContin and Oxy IR, both of which are strong narcotics that can and do cause sweating, depending on my dose. I have a very, very high tolerance to any narcotic and sometimes have to increase my dose with the ok of my doctor). Anyhow, two of your medications jumped out at me but I'd be willing to bet that it's the METHADONE. I did a little research in regards to Methadone and thought you might like to read the following: (Please keep in mind that you should always go by your doctors orders and not anybody elses' here online. This is just something I thought you might like to read and follow up on with the doctors.)
Does Methadone Cause Sweating? Yes. All opioids can cause flushing and hot sweats, but methadone is probably worse than the others. This is because when it's used to treat opioid addiction, we want the patient to go up to a dose that blocks the opioid receptors, and the hot sweats from methadone seems to be at least partially dose-related. Why does this happen? We don't exactly know, but it has to do with the effects of opioids on the thermo-regulatory centers in the brain. Excess sweating can also be caused by opioid withdrawal, so if there are other withdrawal signs or symptoms (body aches, runny nose, nausea, stomach cramps), the sweating may improve with a dose increase. About half of all patients on methadone report unpleasant sweating, but some patients report dramatic, soaking sweats. The sweating for these patients is more than an inconvenience. These are bad enough to interfere with life.
Medications For Sweating Caused By Methadone There are a few prescription medications which can help this severe sweating.
  1. Clonidine, a blood pressure medication, blocks sweats to some degree in many patients.
  2. Anticholenergic medicines, so named because these drugs block the effect of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the involuntary nervous system, block sweating. Anticholinergics tend to dry all secretions, causing such common side effects as dry mouth and dry eyes. These medications can cause more serious side effects, so they must be prescribed by a doctor familiar with the patient's medical history. All of these medications have been used for excessive sweating with various degrees of success, in some patients. Some examples of anticholinergics include:
    • oxybutynin (also used for urinary leakage)
    • bipereden (used in some Parkinson patients)
    • scopolamine (also used for sea sickness)
    • dicyclomine (used for irritable bowel syndrome)
  3. For unusually bad situations, Botox can be injected under the skin of the most affected areas, like armpits, palms and soles. Obviously, this is somewhat of a last-resort measure.
  4. Other Ways To Treat Methadone Induced Sweat
Many of the common sense things do help somewhat, like wearing loose clothing, keeping your house cool, and losing weight. Regular exercise helps some people. Talcum powder, sprinkled on the areas that sweat, can help absorb some of the moisture. Antiperspirants can be used in the underarm area, but also in any area that routinely becomes sweaty. The antiperspirant can be applied at bedtime so sweating won't interrupt sleep. There are prescription antiperspirants, like Drysol or Xerac, but these sometimes can be irritating to the skin. Avoid spicy foods, which can also cause sweating. Make sure the sweating isn't coming from any other source, like an overactive thyroid, and check your body temperature a few times, to make sure you don't have a fever, indicating the sweating could be from a smoldering infection. A trip to the doctor should include some basic blood tests to rule out medical causes other than the dose of methadone.
I hope this helps you some. Please make sure to follow up with your pain mgmt team. Personally, I would not waste the money of a nat. alt. team. Doesn't help much for chronic pain. Take care. Keep up posted. Hope this helped.

caspertab replied to shadowsmom42's response:
I am on Morphine and Bupivicaine in my pain pump and told my pain doctor I had "innner heat" and felt warm and it was anoying, but no outward sweating. He said Opioids cause this. I am now on time released Neurontin known as Gralise and I am sweating terribly at night and know this is the cause. I have found a tip that works for me. I keep many small ice packs frozen and at bed time wrap two in a dish towel and place under the sheets by my feet.I also keep two handy to place at the side of my neck if needed or for the pain I have at the ribs. If your feet are cool, you body is cool! It works for me.

DoubleRainbows responded:
What I neglected to mention is that I have suffered debilitating pain for over 20yrs because of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, osteoarthritis, osteopenia, mild scoliosis, sciatica, nerve damage/pain and a few other things. I did everything and took everything the docs told me. I got worse instead of better. So, about 8 yrs ago I came into some money, that's when I decided to go natural. I started to go to chiropractor, massage, acupuncture and taking vitamins, minerals and herbs. Acupuncture is a God-send to ending pain! I went to a naturopath who got me started on the supplements and I continued to do my own research. After one year, I was pain free. The tears of relief still creep-up on me today. I will never take another prescription for as long as I live, no matter what.
I also do Tai-Chi and Qigong, which also helps.
On another note, mental and emotional "stuff" can get stuck in our bodies and cause most of our health problems. The books that got me started on that route were "The Game of Life and how to play it" by Florence Scovel Shinn and "The Edgar Cayce Handbook For Creating Your Future". Just thought I'd add what worked for me...hope you don't mind.

shadowsmom42 replied to caspertab's response:
Hi Caspertab,
Yes, a package of frozen peas, LOL, is a GREAT idea. I use the frozen peas plastic packaging style, instead of box, because it's so pliable. Like you said, the feet and the neck area are perfect spots, along with wrists and, if one can tolerate it, the armpits. (Isn't that 'inner-heat' feeling awful? My insides will feel sooooo hot but yet my 'outside' will feel cool. Doesn't happen all the time, though. Fortunately.) I also take gabapentin (generic name for Neurontin) for nerve pain. For those that don't know much about Neurontin, it's an anti-epileptic medication, also called an anti-convulsant. It's not only used to help prevent seizures but also used for some types of pain, particularly nerve pain, either alone or in combination with other medications.
Thanks for the ice pack info. I'm sure it will help many that haven't tried it yet.
Take care!......

shadowsmom42 replied to DoubleRainbows's response:
Oh my goodness, I, myself, sure don't mind that you add what works for you! I think it's WONDERFUL that the chiro and acupuncturist, etc., work for you. I would use eastern medicine with western medicine if the insurance companies would cover it. (I used both for a short time and loved each one but couldn't afford to continue with either one.) Unfortunately, most HMO's do not cover any type of eastern medicine. I have medicare as my primary insurance (due to the number of employees my husbands company has) and my husbands work insurance as my secondary insurance. Anyhow, Medicare will cover the 'adjustment' if I choose to see a chiropractor but that's it. As we know, the chiropractors use US, stimulation and heat pads prior to doing an adjustment, to help loosen one up, and that alone costs $60.00 a visit, approximately. And that $60.00 is what has to come out of pocket since it isn't covered. Then the chiropractors want to start seeing you about 3 times a week, some only 2 times a week. But even if it's only once a week, most of us today don't have $60.00 to spend on that and we're left with no choice but to use the HMO's and be put on medication that we don't really want to be on but have no choice. Am I tired of HMO's, doctors, etc., wanting to just mask the pain with pain medications? Absolutely. I wish medicare would cover a little more and HMO's would cover more. ESPECIALLY HMO's.....You would think that us paying $248.00 a WEEK to have health insurance coverage would be enough. But no.....they get you one way or another.....LOL.
Please, please keep sharing what works for you. It might not help me too much, LOL, but I know it WILL help someone else and that is what matters....One person trying to help another.....Take care.

An_248288 replied to shadowsmom42's response:
Dear Shadowsmom42, I can't thank you enough for sharing your info with me. I have been researching this problem and talked with my pain doctor several times Trying to find some sort of information to eventually find some sort of remedy . Elizabeth you have really shared more in a couple of paragraphs than my doctor in 4 months. I truly hope when I take this info in to him he will be embarrassed that he didn't tell me about Them earlier. Maybe they will help and maybe not but at least I have something to start me out. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted.

An_248288 replied to caspertab's response:
Thanks Caspertab for your response. I also have been taking neurotin but thought the generic name on my bottle is Gabapentin. I don't really think the icepacs would help in my case because I sweat all during the day too. The most aggravating area of target is my head. In 62 yrs old and think I've finished with menapause I hope but it sure feels like one huge hotflash that lasts for hours. Sweat just keeps pouring from my head into my eyes cheeks nose until my neck is drenched. As soon as I wipe it dry, 2 seconds I'm wet again and it's dripping off my hair. Hardly lady like and not so attractive when your single if you know what I mean. Thanks again

shadowsmom42 replied to An_248288's response:
Hi An_248288.....I'm glad some of the info I gave you might help. Excessive sweating, known as "Hyperhidrosis", can be a sign of thyroid problems, diabetes or even an infection. Here is a link that will give you more answers:
http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/is-your-excessive-sweating-caused-by-a-medical-problem
There are three pages with excellent information for you. I would ask your doctor to check these things out and also check hormone levels. I know you've gone through menopause, etc., but that doesn't necessarily mean your hormone levels are on track.
Hope this link helps. Take care. Terry

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to An_248288's response:
So glad that posting your concerns here at WebMD have provided you with information to spark treatment and medication questions to discuss with your doctor.

I wish the East meets West philosophy would be applied to many symptoms, illnesses and conditions.

Looking forward to hearing a good report in the future,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.