Skip to content
Memory problems and repetitive actions by my 82 yr old aunt
Lightrae posted:
She does not live with me, but my cousin just moved in with her and my uncle who just passed 2 weeks ago. She has a lot of memory loss and extremely repetitive actions, all prior to my uncle passing. Doc did cat scan and said her brain looked normal for her age, put her on weekly B complex injections and large units of vitamin D. Wants to see her in 5 weeks, but my cousin doesn't know what to do to make her more comfortable. She becomes very anxious and emotional because she knows something is wrong with her memory. Is this a diet deficiency or is there more to this? He has so much on his plate, he doesn't know whether he's coming or going. He stays in constant contact with me because I listen and attempt to help as much as possible. I suggested today that he talk to the doctor again soon and make it clear just how extreme her condition is. Her oldest sister was diagnosed with Alzh and passed from it in her 80's. I was my mother's caregiver for 4 years and noticed the last year of her life that her memory had suffered dramatically. She would key in on something and not stop talking about it. However she passed from COPD. She also was a very light eater. Any suggestions or education would be greatly appreciated.

DoubleRainbows responded:
I had the same problem and I'm only in my 40's. Mine was caused by hormonal imbalance, hypo-thyroid, not enough oxygen 'flow' (lack of exercise) just to name a few. So...I started on Armour Thyroid, natural hormone replacement therapy, walking everyday for 20-60 minutes each day. I also had to stop drinking pop and consuming other sugars. 6 months later I'm 90% better.
I also had to go on a regime of vitamins, etc. Such as Omega 3's, Vit C., multi-B complex, lecithin, Ginko Biloba, Vit. E and anything I could find for circulation.
I realized there is a natural alternative to most health problems. Maybe do some research or take your aunt to a Naturopath.

Lightrae replied to DoubleRainbows's response:
Thank you!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello Lightrae and Welcome -

We are so sorry to hear of your loss and family struggles. This is a difficult situation that too many of us have to maneuver through.

Please check out our wonderful and informative Alzheimer's Community to connect with others for support, advice and understanding.

Our Alzheimer's Health Center also has great information to share with your cousin.

Your aunt is lucky to have you researching and helping her through this most difficult time. Please remember that caregivers need to take time out to care for themselves.

Take Care,
Elizabeth

Lightrae responded:
Thank you for the replies! Very informative. I will pas this info to my cousin and hopefully he can get a handle on this situation.

This info also answered a lot of questions I still had concerning my Mom. Even though she is gone, this site has now helped me come to terms with everything that was happening the last year of her life. Wish I had found all of you earlier, but as any caregiver knows, things become overwhelming quickly.

What a blessing this site is!

Lightrae replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you so much Elizabeth!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to Lightrae's response:
You are welcome Lightrae, so glad we could help out.

Will be hoping for a smooth as possible transition for your family, peaceful times for your aunt and continued healing while mourning the loss of your mom.

Take Care,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.