Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Do I have a food allery or an intolerance?
    mustelid1 posted:
    I have an adverse reaction when I eat two things, specifically, the rice pilaf at a popular chain restaurant and the General Tso's chicken from my neighborhood Chinese takeout. My throat closes a bit and swallowing becomes very painful. I don't think it's the rice, because I can cook rice at home and eat it with no problem. The odd part is that the throat pain lasts for about five or ten minutes and then goes away. I can finish my meal with no further problem. I'm assuming that one or more of the seasonings is to blame. If I have an allergy, why doesn't the problem last the entire time I am exposing myself to the food? Any idea of what is causing this?
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Mustelid,

    Because of the potential danger, be sure to discuss this with your doctor. In the meantime, I encourage you to repost your message on our Allergies Community .

    And here is some information on Food Allergies .

    Helpful Tips

    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.