Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dark Chocolate health benefits
dholsom posted:
I am getting conflicting answers about the health benefits of dark chocolate. Can you have dark chocolate with sugar and fat, such as candy [dark chocolate kisses>. Is this also good for you? Or does it need to be the unsweetened block of dark chocolate that you might use for baking?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is some information about dark chocolate:

Pick Dark Chocolate For Health Benefits

From the article: cocoa solids contain healthy compounds called flavonols. These have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Joe Vinson, PhD, a professor of chemistry at the University of Scranton is a long-time researcher on antioxidants in foods. The message to stay healthy, he says, is: "Don't eat fat and sugar without antioxidants."

This would be a great question to discuss in our very active Diet Community . A great expert and many smart and supportive members who like to discuss food and health!

For me personally? Everything in moderation. So I would have the sweetened dark chocolate. Unsweetened sounds sort of yuck!

Haylen

Gwendolyn123 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks so much Haylen. Appreciate the quick response. I do so love chocolate. Of course, I am overweight so try not to eat it often.

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.