Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dark Chocolate health benefits
dholsom posted:
I am getting conflicting answers about the health benefits of dark chocolate. Can you have dark chocolate with sugar and fat, such as candy [dark chocolate kisses>. Is this also good for you? Or does it need to be the unsweetened block of dark chocolate that you might use for baking?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Here is some information about dark chocolate:

Pick Dark Chocolate For Health Benefits

From the article: cocoa solids contain healthy compounds called flavonols. These have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Joe Vinson, PhD, a professor of chemistry at the University of Scranton is a long-time researcher on antioxidants in foods. The message to stay healthy, he says, is: "Don't eat fat and sugar without antioxidants."

This would be a great question to discuss in our very active Diet Community . A great expert and many smart and supportive members who like to discuss food and health!

For me personally? Everything in moderation. So I would have the sweetened dark chocolate. Unsweetened sounds sort of yuck!

Haylen

Gwendolyn123 replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks so much Haylen. Appreciate the quick response. I do so love chocolate. Of course, I am overweight so try not to eat it often.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.