Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Do I have HIV and could I have given it to my boyfriend?
peterparker posted:
Last year, I had unprotected a few times. I never got tested or screened, I know, so stupid of me. I never got sick or showed any symptoms. I have a new boyfriend we've been dating for 2 months and he's suddenly had a really bad flu. He said he's never gotten sick like this before. I know that once you've contracted the virus it takes as early as 2 weeks and up to 13 weeks to get ARS (Acute Retrovirus Syndrome) initial flu-like symptoms which include fever, fatigue, and, often, rash. Other common symptoms can include headache, joint pains, swollen lymph nodes, and sore throat. They say ARS is like the "worst flu of your life" and I'm afraid that's exactly how he feels.[br>[br>He had all of those symptoms except the rash and swollen lymph nodes. This happened about 7 weeks after we first started having sex. Which is in the time frame of when you get ARS.[br>I was wondering, if he really did have the flu, wouldn't it be contagious? How come I didn't get the flu, I was pretty much next to him the entire time. No one else caught the flu from him either. Does this mean it wasn't the flu and its actually him infected with HIV? [br>[br>I know all of you will tell me to get tested to know for sure. I will be getting tested in 2 days. I just need some opinions from experience or knowledge. I'm so scared.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Peterparker,

I encourage you to repost your message on our HIV/AIDS Community ; they will be able to answer all your questions.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.