Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
bronchitis... cant breathe well should i go to er?
marcind4 posted:
Hi, i hope you guys can help me out. First off ill begin by saying im 30 and hate doctors im deathly afraid of them. A few days ago i started getting a cold kept getting worse last night i devloped bad wheezing. Today i said i have a bad feeeling and actually went to see a doc. He listened and ordered a chest xray. I told him there was a tiny speck of bllood with the phlegm i coughed up annd he said ihad bronchitis and prescribed augmentin, codeine syrup, advair and albuterol... after i got home it got worse after i started takking the medicinne... around 100..5 fever and wheezing annd i can only walk a short distance before im out of breath. Im only soomewhat comfoortablee when i lay down. I can breathe halfway ok that way. Im afraid of suffocating in my sleep. Should i continue his prescription or go to the er?? Thank you all.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Marcind,

Unfortunately, an online message board can mean a delay in responses when you may need medical attention.

It's now a day later... how are you doing? Since your condition worsened after starting the medication, if you haven't yet sought medical care again and your symptoms are continuing or worse, please contact your doctor or have someone take you to the ER.

marcind4 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi. Thank you for your response. My condition worsened that night. I was wheezing bad and very scared. The next day my fever went down a bit and i could feel getting just a little better throughout the day. Today is my third day on these strong medications and i seem to have improved further. The shortness of breath is still there but wheezing is way down and chest pain much much less. The xrays of the lungs came back clear which makes no sense. Ill continue to rest. One positive is that today is day 3 of no smoking. I smoked a pack a day. Maybe this scare willfinally help me quit.

Thanks again for your response.

Marcin.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.