Skip to content
Diggdirt53 posted:
My husband and I have been married for 36yrs and he has always been a drinker. June of 1999 he feel off a 12ft ladder he has never been the same good old boy. His drinking got worse and his additude towards me is horrible. He is very mean and vendictive. I know he has head tramma and the things to look for there I think but lately his goal is to hurt mementally and I'm worried I need to watch out for phisically. I don't know how to take the mood he is in. I know this isn't much to go on info wise but on a short note I hope someone can help me answer my questions.
susiemargaret responded:
hello, DD --

altho it has been ten yrs since your husband's fall, your post says basically that his behavior has not been the same since then and that recently it has gotten worse. sudden personality changes can be a sign of brain damage. he needs to be evaluated by a neurologist.

if he has gotten physically abusive, it may be time for you to think about getting out. physical abuse usually gets worse and worse, and altho i'm sure that you don't want to consider this idea, your life may be in danger..

is there a women's shelter in your area? they can advise you on what to do next.

in my PS are several resources for you with respect to physical abuse by your husband.

please write back and keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

PS1 -- here is a website -- -- where you can find a list of crisis resources on abuse in your own state.

PS2 -- these are national crisis resources that deal specifically with sexual and other kinds of abuse -

**National Domestic Violence Hotline, toll-free 800/799-7233,

**Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network, toll-free 800/656-4673,

**Abuse Victim Hotline (free legal advice and counsel), toll-free 877/448-8678, and

**Between Friends, toll-free 800/603-4357.

PS3 -- these are national crisis resources that deal specifically with abuse to older people (i don't know what age they consider "elder") --

**National Center on Elder Abuse, toll-free 800/677-1116, and

**Elder Abuse Resource and Referral, toll-free 800/879-6682.

PS4 -- you might also want to take a look at the "depression" exchange, , and the "neurology" exchange, .

PS5 -- i have been experimenting with how to format this list, so if it comes out unreadable, please write back and i will send another one.

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.