Skip to content
Is it normal to have a pain after root canal done ?
An_226043 posted:
I had root canal done 3 weeks ago, but after that my thoot remain in pain.I took antibiotik for 10 days.My dentist sand me to endodontic who prescraibed me a Medrol.I have a pain when I am touch in it, when I am eating.It is #9.Is it normal?

LilMissMerrySunshine responded:
I cannot say it is not "normal", but I can tell you I have had a LOT of root canals (due to antibiotics as a child, my adult teeth are very soft), and I have never had pain like that. Some root canals I have had done quickly enough to not have any pain before, and afterwards I might be in "Advil" type pain for a day at the most.

Recently I had a bad tooth absess, and I was in serious pain when I went in. The dentist had me take antibiotics for four days before he did the root canal, and he gave me Lortab. Then he put a temporary thing on it, so that if the infection caused anymore problems, he could easily take it off, let the pressure out, see what it was (blood or puss), and put it back on. Sure enough, I was in his office the next day in major pain, but most of it was blood. The day after, I was back to Advil instead of Lortab, and the day after that I was a little uncomfortable. I've been fine ever since.

If I were you, I might get a second opinion. The infection can get in your gums and jaw, which can cause pain, but you are saying your pain is specifically your tooth. I don't know if you need another round of antibiotics, or if they didn't get all the roots. Did either dentist do an x-ray after the procedure to make sure the roots were gone? They should.

Also, did either of them go back and see if any pressure has built up? My dentist told me if he put a permanant filling in right away, and pressure built up, not only would I be in a LOT of pain, but it could cause me to lose the tooth. That doesn't really sound like what is happening with you, since that pain would probably be in your tooth, jaw, face, etc. But it is another idea.

I hope that helps, and I hope you feel better REALLY soon. Tooth pain is the WORST!

susiemargaret responded:
hello, A --

you might want to take a look at, or post on, the "oral health" exchange, http://exchanges.webmd.com/oral-health-exchange .

in particular, look at these two discussions -- http://forums.webmd.com/3/oral-health-exchange/forum/282?@309.IQisazW4aA4 , and http://forums.webmd.com/3/oral-health-exchange/forum/126/0?@guest .

please keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

LilMissMerrySunshine replied to susiemargaret's response:
Wow, I thought I knew a lot about dental work until I read those! That's awesome information I plan to bookmark. I also didn't realize WebMD had an oral health board.

I had no idea how many complications there could be. Ick! With all the work I have had done, I felt ready to be a dental assistant or something.

Anon - are you feeling any better? I hope so!

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.