Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
7 month old can't keep cereals down
LibraryChick05 posted:
My 7 month old gets sick every time I give her Gerber rice or oatmeal cereals. Two hours after eating the rice or oatmeal, she will begin vomiting and continue until her stomach has emptied. I also tried plain Quaker oatmeal and the same thing happened.Has anyone had an experience like this? If so, what is the cause of it? I am very worried about her.

4Watermonkeys responded:
Is she eating any other solid foods, and what are you mixing the cereal with (i.e. water, milk, or formula)? From my experience, some kids just don't like the rice/oatmeal cereal - my twins refused to eat it, and when they did . . . well, you know. We tried other foods that contained the same ingredients such as those flavored puffs that come in a small canister (can't remember what company makes them, but they're basically flavored cheerio's that melt in the mouth) - they loved those and the puffs also served as a great transition to other solid foods due to the texture. You may want to check with your daughter's pediatrician to see if he/she'd recommend trying other food products with similar ingredients to see if it's a texture, taste, or sensitivity/allergy issue. Good luck!

LibraryChick05 replied to 4Watermonkeys's response:
I mixed the cereals in with her fruit. She is eating the simple ingredient fruits and vegetables just fine, but when I give her the Hawaiian Delight baby food which contains rice flour, about 2 hours later, she throws it all up.I am concerned that it could be an intolerance or allergy to grains. Maybe I am just getting ahead of myself and this is something she will outgrow. I sure hope so!

susiemargaret responded:
hello, LC --

in addition to the responses here, you may get more responses if you repost this Q on the "parenting exchange," http://exchanges.webmd.com/parenting-exchange .

one other suggestion -- if you go to the alphabetical-categories-of-exchanges page, http://exchanges.webmd.com/default.htm , and click on "P," you will see the "parenting" category, where many other parenting-related exchanges are listed. several of these include topics of interest to the parents of seven-month-old babies (there are so many that i thought a list here might be too overwhelming!).

-- susie margaret

Helpful Tips

Was this Helpful?
5 of 9 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.