Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Questions about the liver
An_226058 posted:
My husband past away 30 mos ago He had battled drinking most of his adult life and had quit one yr before his death. He was on the following medications and I believe that they caused his death. Bupropion HCL (200mg 2x daily) , Gabapentin (900 mg 3x day), Naltrexone (50mg daily), Naproxen (1000mg 2x day), Olanzapine (20 mg day), Sertraline (200mg day). From everything that I have found on the Bupropion and Naltrexone it says not to use if there is a chance of liver damage. He had had test done that had shown liver damage but yet he was left on these meds and not followed closely like he should have been, From what I have read on Naltrexone he should have only been on it at a lower dose and at the most 3 months with blood work every 30 days But was on it for 11 months with NO blood work done. He was removed from this 40 days before his death. He autopsy report said that he died of accidental effects of morphine but he was NEVER on Morphine nor did he have access to any Morphine. So how is that possible. I just have too many unanswered questions and the VA will not answer any of them I am hoping that you will Thank you

susiemargaret responded:
hello, 6057 --

i am so sorry about your husband's death, and i think it is outrageous that you cannot get anyone at the VA to answer your Qs about his medical care. i did a search on webMD to see if i could find an exchange that might address your Qs, but i couldn't find anything that seemed relevant.

what i suggest is that you talk with a lawyer about whether there might have been medical malpractice in your husband's case. altho you can find many negligence lawyers under the listings for "personal injury lawyers" in the yellow pages, you really want to find someone who specializes in medical malpractice.

to do that, you might want to contact the bar association for your state. look for a website under "whatever-your-state-is bar association"; you might also find it thru the website for your state's supreme court.

practically all bar associations have a lawyer referral service. the referral service is only a listing of all lawyers in the state by self-defined specialty, it is not a prescreened list of the best lawyers for each type of legal work. however, i hope that it will get you to lawyers who specialize in medical malpractice.

many medical malpractice lawyers will take a case under an arrangement where you do not have to pay unless they/you win (a "contingency fee"). regardless of whether you end up having to sue to get the info you want about your husband's care, it would definitely be worth your time to have someone evaluate your concerns and to help you get whatever info you can from the VA.

i hope that you can find some help. the facts as you state them certainly raise competence issues in my mind.

-- susie margaret

imnoangle62 replied to susiemargaret's response:
Susie thank you for your kinds words. Yes I am aware of needing a Malpractice Attorney and believe me I have tried to find one here in this state as well as many other states and they all say the same thing and that it this is something they want NO part of they feel like because it is the goverment that I am fighting that it is better left without answers but they don't know me nor what type of person I am. I loved my husband far to much to not fight this battle for him. I did file a tort against the VA and they rejected it so now I am in the appeal state and I will never stop looking for the answers to all the questions that not only I have but all of our children too. I am willing to go to any length to get this figured out guess kinda like Erin Brockovich meaning I am very strong willed and willing to go the distance to see the right thing done.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.