Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What should I do. I know someone who lies to dr.s
An_240296 posted:
I don't know what to do. I know this person goes on this site so I don't want to say too much. I know of someone who is lying to dr.s. This person says they are allergic to steroids so then the dr.s can't treat them the way they should for a supposed injury. Then this person is getting 2nd and 3rd opinions to get Lortab and similar painkillers. We know some of the dr.s names and want to tell them but don't know how to or what we can say. This person searches the internet to find all the symptoms of a few diseases so they know what to say to the dr. And this person has even said to me that there is no blood test for Fibromyalgia and the dr. can't say he/she doesn't have it like other diseases. For years this person has been making things up and everyone believes him/her and feels sorry for him/her. A couple of us are sick of it. One dr. refuses to see him/her and has moved on to another dr. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

RoseLynn02 responded:
You can tell all the doctors you want, but at the end of the day this person will just find another doctor. I realize this post is 2 months old, so I don't know what, if anything, you decided to do or if your still on this site. However, If you're still searching for advice on the subject or anyone else has faced the same issue.... The only way to help this person is if they want help. Sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom for a person to wake up really realize what they are doing to themselves. A lot of them make up excuses and reason with themselves to convince themselves, not only the outside world, that what they are doing is fine, it's not hurting them, it's not hurting anyone else, what's the problem?...right. Well obviously to someone who is sober there is a problem a big one & it hurts everyone. You can always try a family/friend intervention, or see if the doctors are willing to report this person to the police ( although they usually throw them in jail & press charges instead of putting them where they need to be, rehab). You have to remember that people who don't want help can't be helped until they are really willing to except it & help themselves to. In the end you have to do whats best for you, even if that means distancing yourself & moving on with your life as to not allow their unhealthy behaviors affect you(mentally, emotionally, ect.). Addiction isn't easy for anyone to face, not the addict or the family and friends of one....

MissTuffet replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Thank you for your response. I hadn't thought of it the way you put it. I've decided to distance myself from the subject. I know all of us have sympathized with this person but I guess it has enabled this person, and we are all starting to catch on. Maybe that is the way that they'll realize for themself and have to face the truth and get help. Thank you again for your perspective.

Anon_136178 responded:
Hi there, I found myself, in the same situation. There are actually a-lot of people that do this on a daily basis. It's called, "Dr. shopping." A-lot of them are hooked on the drugs, but also, sell a portion of them for big dollars! It drives me crazy! Unfortunately, to the point, that I personally knew a woman, thru my Ex-husband, that was going to the same clinic, I was. So, I finally decided to talk to my Dr., whom started the firm, and told him of one of his Dr.'s, that was known for writing these R.X.'s. He didn't beleive me! We got into a huge argument, as he saw it as an attack, on his Dr.! I ended up quitting the firm, which I had been with for 12yrs.! The Dr., in question, is still writing to this day, 5yrs. later! Unfortuanately, one of this Dr.'s patients, committed suicide, with noone knowing where he got the drugs to do it with! It is actually common for some people to pay for "said person's", Dr. appt., to get pills in return! You will notice, the people doing the "Dr. shopping", do not have insurance, and can not be tracked by the insurance company! It's a slippery slope, & I know, from personal experience, that it doesn't always help, to do THE RIGHT THING!!! Good luck to you...

RoseLynn02 replied to Anon_136178's response:
Unfortunately I too have actually, well obviously, encountered this personally as well. However for me it has occurred with in my own family. I have known one of them to even illegally use someone else insurance with out that person knowing & raising the persons co-payments. Now that person is seeking legal retribution. It's just a sad situation for all involved. For me, I had to do what was best for me & my kids & that was to distance myself from the family member who were having addiction issues. Currently some of them are sober & re-involved in my life & well aware that if they don't stay that way they wont be involved with me or my children. Sometimes the best way to reach an addict is to not involve yourself with them. When enough people in their lives do that sometimes they wake up & make the changes that they need to....unfortunately some times they don't & it can turn into much more of a tragedy. For me the risk was worth it because in the end protecting my mental help (since I couldn't help theirs) & protecting my children's mental, emotional, & physical well being took presidency over everything else. Anyway I wish your friend well. With any luck they will figure it out. Hopefully they are reading this & realizing it does hurt others in their life & start considering a change. Good luck to all dealing with addiction in themselves or in their personal relationships.

MissTuffet replied to RoseLynn02's response:
I know he doesn't have insurance and now I know why he has been able to keep doing this. I'm young, in my 20's, and haven't heard of people being able to do all this, and it's frustrating to seeing this happen to a young person. You see commercials on tv for all these diseases, some of which don't have tests to diagnose, and all a person has to do is make up symptoms and then it starts. This is a new world to me and thank you for your help and suggestions to why this happens.

RoseLynn02 replied to MissTuffet's response:
I too hate seeing the tragedy of people in these addictive situations, trapped in-between the reality of life & the delusions of the high. It's truly a sad thing, young or old. Most times they know in there heart the reality & risks of what they are doing & yet trapped the addiction it's self there head ends up making lies & excuses & that just seems to be what they end up choosing to follow. Unfortunately the hard truth is that once they head in that direction, know matter how much fact they know, it's very difficult for them to come back from hence the " it won't happen to me" mind set. The drugs do take over & it at times becomes a struggle for the addict themselves even once they do start realizing that it has to stop. It's not easy. There are some recovered addicts on this site who occasionally share bits & pieces of their story. If you look around a bit & find them you can see the challenges they faced in their recoveries. It would be nice if there was a support community on here for friends & families of addicts &/or addicts/recovered addicts themselves. It could probably help I lot more people than you would think, considering more & more people now a days has encountered an addiction in themselves or some they know. Kind of like an alanon or something. I use to go to meetings for family members of addicts to help me deal with my frustrations over my relatives issues & found that it is just that, their issues. It helped a lot. Anyway I wish you luck & your friend as well. Hope things work out, really I do.

You know, I'm kind of surprised one of the members of the web md staff hasn't responded to this post. It's 2 months old & on a subject I think is important. I'm kind of disappointed in the fact that they seem to have no opinion on the subject. Hmmm....? Wonder why?

periwinkle52 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
I'm not sure if you are aware of, on this site, if you have an illness or see a need for a certain "community", you can start one of your own! If you see the need for a support group, you can set up a Community, for it! I have a rare illness, which there was not a site set up for it. I did not have anywhere to go for reference or support. At the advice of an Expert, on this site, I set up one! Granted, it only has 2 members, so far, but, I started it by myself! So, if you go up to "Communities, (I think), you type in the name of the group you want to start, and it kinda guides you where to begin, and what sort of info, you may want to post! I'm sure, if you started one on the subject you mentioned, you'll have more than 2 members!! Good-luck & I hope reaching out will help someone....periwinkle

RoseLynn02 replied to periwinkle52's response:
Thank you for your advice. I knew you could set a community up yourself, but I wasn't sure how. Also, I'm not sure what I would post there to get it started. I responded to this post because it hit home & I was hoping to be able to help the person who posted it because it isn't an easy issue to face, but to start a community myself....I wouldn't know how to star it off I don't think...although if they had such a community I know I would be a part of it. Mostly just to try & help others, I haven't faced these issues this strongly personally in 2yrs. The relatives I discuss have been sober for that long. That doesn't mean I don't personally still hold some level of resentment, because I do...I don't know...now I'm rambling. Anyhow, I'll consider it & see what I could post as the first post I suppose. If I can come up with anything or if I see more responses here for people who would want a community like that then I'll go through with it. Thanks again.

Good luck & Hooray! Just think, If you have ONE person, find your site! Make sure it's related to a familiar subject, you may save THAT person's life! Or perhaps, someone whom just needs to talk. You can do it. You have the passion in your words, to reach out & help someone. I'm sure that is exactly how groups like "AA" & "Al-Anon" get started! Just one person, reaching out, to help another. You obviously are a very caring person. periwinkle

Thanks. I would like to start that kind of community here, but I don't know how many people that are on webmd it would really relate to. I'm really not all that great, but it makes me feel good that you think so. This is just a subject really close to my heart. I'm actually studying this in school. On my way to earning my Forensic Psychology degree just so I can go out & help addicts in need of it. I'm licensed in it yet & no means do I know everything there is to know on the subject, but I do feel that with the personal experience I've already had dealing with addicts that I have enough knowledge on the subject to maybe help some people here for now...if nothing else. I'm still think about it though...I just don't want to start it up & have it fail. You know what I mean?

Oh Absolutely! I do know how you feel! I only have TWO menbers! But, my disease is rare, but I figured, if one other person had it, & we could discuss the different, and similar ways, it effects us, just that, would help me & I hope, them! You mentioned you are studying it in school. Perhaps, some of the replies you recieve, (which I honestly think you'll have a good bit), would help you write a paper for in you're studies, somewhere. I think it would be interesting, just to find out, how many do reply & their thoughts on the matter. Myself, being a chronic, pain, patient, pretty much see it all. I've seen, a woman, whom obviously had a questionable R.X., trying to fill it. She literally was harassing the poor pharmacy helper, until, I got sick of listening to it, and stepped in, & just said, "Excuse, me but it appears they can not fill your R.X., so would you mind, I'm in a hurry!" At first, I thought she was going to kick my butt, but, she finally, stuck it in her pocket, and left! The girl, behind the counter thanked me! Unfortunately, some people have no idea, what to do, in a situation like that. I would have called for Management, after the second refusal to leave. Anyway, I just think it would be interesting to see the replies you get. I'll be watching, (no pressure!), to see what comes of your thoughts! Good luck, again, periwinkle p.s. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.....

But what would I call it? Community for recovered/recovering addicts & families/friends there of?.... I don't know...I'm still lost on it. & what would my first post be? Please coming share your ?'s, comments, & stories of your struggles in our new community dedicated to having a friendly helpful place to vent your situations? That's too long isn't it? I think I need some help on this....? I agree though, you are most definitely correct... If I don't try it I'll never know how it would go.

RoseLynn02 replied to RoseLynn02's response:
Oh,...& another thought...where would I put the community? Women's healthy or emotional health?...so that the proper people would find it?

Good morning! I guess I would put it under Mental Health. Which has a-lot of Communities, also. So, you may want to go there, to see if there is anything close to what you want to start. Then, you need to name it. Maybe after visiting the other's, it will help. Then, if you go to "Communities", there should be a link to "Setting up your own!" From there, they literally spell it out for you! From naming it, to Managing it! It is there, Then, it leads you into "discussions", "Tips", ect....You'll see what I mean, when you get there! They totally help you from step to step! I haven't even done everything that shoulld be done. Maybe, due to the fact, that I'm pretty much alone, with this disease! At least, on this site! I had one person join, but obviously, is not very talkative! At any rate, if you need more help, just write it, I'll find it! But, I think when you find the "Making your own Community", you'll see what I mean! I really hope you do it, cos it seems you have a-lot of experience & the education to beat!! Good-luck, periwinkle

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 23 years and a born and raised californian. i'm here to get some insight on my own health issues and to give my input on things other people ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.