Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Period every other week and
An_241640 posted:
So as of late I've had very irregular periods.

For around three months, I've been getting my period every two weeks. So one week of being on my period, one week of being off, one week on, one week off. I thought the problem would fix itself, that I was just being irregular but if I let nature take it's course, I'd be fine and regular soon enough--so I didn't do anything about it. But by the time I had my 5th period in a 3 month span, I decided to start taking my birth control (Microgestin) again.

I was prescribed this a few years ago to regulate my periods, and it did the trick. I took it for almost a year, and I've been off it for a year now (until the beginning of this month). However, I've been on Microgestin for a month now, and my period still comes every other week. ALSO, my most recent cycle has been going on for ten days now.

I saw a doctor last friday who did nothing but tell me I wasn't pregnant nor anemic at the time, but when I went in for my appointment, I hadn't been bleeding for more than seven days (as I am now). I'm trying to schedule an appointment with an OB/GYN asap, but I don't think anyone can see my until monday or tuesday (and by then, I'll have been bleeding for 14 days straight). I don't know what to do at this point. With 5 irregularly recent periods preceding this extra long one, I'm worried that I'll become anemic or suffer other health problems.

Has anyone experienced this before? What was the cause? Do I have cysts/polyps? Is it more serious? Is there anything I can do to stop my current period (though it's light and spotty, it just keeps going!) I'm just looking for answers of any kind. I'm very worried.

RoseLynn02 responded:
I don't have anything to say other than I'm sorry. I hope you get it all worked out. Let us know when you figure it out in case anyone else here encounters the same thing.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a 23 year old single mother, born and raised in Orange County, CA but recently exiled to Riverside, CA. I'm very open about health and wel...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.