Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Why do I constantly choke on my food?
supersam721 posted:
Hi, I'm a 17yr old female in high school and I was wondering why I always choke on my food? It has been going on for about 4yrs now and is still continuing. It happens almost every time I eat. I will just be eating my dinner and then it happens. Like tonight for instance I was eating a taco and I was carefully chewing like I always do and all of a sudden I feel this burning feeling and it feels like several knives stabbing at my throat. Its a little hard to breathe. So when it feels like that I try and take a sip of whatever I'm drinking like water, sprite, powerade. But it just seems to make it worse. So I have to sprint to the bathroom and throw it up and everything that I had eaten at that moment comes up into a thick saliva and into the toilet. After that I can go back to eating normal until the next time I eat a meal. It doesn't seem to happen with soup, smoothies, or any other liquid. Just food. And it scares me greatly. I have had tests done to wear they would do an x-ray on my chest while I swallowed some barium I think its called, and they found nothing. I pray that we could just figure out what was wrong and that I don't die because of it. Just please anybody help me figure out whats wrong with me so I wont have to be afraid when I eat.

An_240941 responded:
Well I think milk would help with that feeling more than anything & maybe cut down on the spicy or acidic foods...that may help. Did your doctors consider acid reflux? Have you tried taking any meds for acid reflux?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on BC pills for 16 years so I get my period every 28 days.Recently I had an abnormal pap smear and have to go see an OBGYN to see if there...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.