Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PAINFUL urination--NOT a UTI
SavanStev posted:
Ok, so I'm 38 and in pretty good shape for my age. Over the last few months, starting having more & more issues with incontinence, sudden urges to urinate, not feeling "empty" after urination. Chalked it up to getting older. Then pain started during and after urination a couple of months ago. Came & went over the last few weeks. Not a big deal. Then, the last few days, pain has greatly intensified before, during, and ESPECIALLY after I urinate--doubled over with tears in my eyes kind of pain. Pain starts below my navel and runs down through my urethra. Pain is internal, no vaginal discomfort. Thought I may just have UTI. Went to my gyno today--she ran a UA, said did not have UTI and urine "looked great." Also had pelvic exam & ultrasound done today--no issues with uterus or anything with my lady business. I been tested often over the years and have not nor do I now have any STDs. I have never been pregnant. I do have irregular periods due to years of being on the pill (per gyno). She has ruled out anything with reproductive system causing this sudden painful issue. Suggested laying off any caffeine and alcohol use (not big time user on either one), keeping pee diary, & following up with my regular Primary Doc in a few days if not better. She said I should not have pain when I urinate and I may need to see a urologist. Being the impatient and worried person I am, does anyone have any thoughts on what the heck is going on with me?? Appreciate any feedback!

An_247474 responded:
Just based on the information you provided; I would request that your primary care doctor refer you to a Urologist. You may need a test called a cystoscopy where a small scope is used to examine the lining of your bladder. Just a hunch, but it sounds like you may have interstital cystitis. Which is a chronic inflammation of the lining of the bladder without actual infection.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My question is what are the benifits of taken Premarin after having a hysterorectomy at the age of 40? can I quit taken premarin? I have gained 20 lbs...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.