Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    PAINFUL urination--NOT a UTI
    SavanStev posted:
    Ok, so I'm 38 and in pretty good shape for my age. Over the last few months, starting having more & more issues with incontinence, sudden urges to urinate, not feeling "empty" after urination. Chalked it up to getting older. Then pain started during and after urination a couple of months ago. Came & went over the last few weeks. Not a big deal. Then, the last few days, pain has greatly intensified before, during, and ESPECIALLY after I urinate--doubled over with tears in my eyes kind of pain. Pain starts below my navel and runs down through my urethra. Pain is internal, no vaginal discomfort. Thought I may just have UTI. Went to my gyno today--she ran a UA, said did not have UTI and urine "looked great." Also had pelvic exam & ultrasound done today--no issues with uterus or anything with my lady business. I been tested often over the years and have not nor do I now have any STDs. I have never been pregnant. I do have irregular periods due to years of being on the pill (per gyno). She has ruled out anything with reproductive system causing this sudden painful issue. Suggested laying off any caffeine and alcohol use (not big time user on either one), keeping pee diary, & following up with my regular Primary Doc in a few days if not better. She said I should not have pain when I urinate and I may need to see a urologist. Being the impatient and worried person I am, does anyone have any thoughts on what the heck is going on with me?? Appreciate any feedback!
    An_247474 responded:
    Just based on the information you provided; I would request that your primary care doctor refer you to a Urologist. You may need a test called a cystoscopy where a small scope is used to examine the lining of your bladder. Just a hunch, but it sounds like you may have interstital cystitis. Which is a chronic inflammation of the lining of the bladder without actual infection.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I have been on BC pills for 16 years so I get my period every 28 days.Recently I had an abnormal pap smear and have to go see an OBGYN to see if there...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.