Skip to content
Question about tubal ligation
kissy0618 posted:
I am 27 years old and happily married with 2 kids. My husband and I have made a decision not to have any more children. First, I bled for 4 months straight after having my son. I tried Mirena and bled heavily and had extreme cramps. Then I tried Loestrin, which controlled the bleeding, but cramping was through the roof. After 5 months of that, I tried Ortho-tricyclen for 3 months and had heavy periods and horrible cramping. On both birth control medicines, I was very depressed, fatigued, just not a good experience for me and do not want to take bc again. So now I have had 3 months of normal periods, bleeding has been fine and cramps are still bad. My Dr. said she would do a tubal ligation for me, but a high percentage of women will experience heavier bleeding and worse cramps than before. So, she wants to do the NovaSure with it...I'm very concerned about the complications of NovaSure and do not want to end up having a hysterectomy at age 27. In fact, she herself, had the NovaSure done a little over a year ago...within the past week she just had a hysterectomy. I don't know the cause, but I hope it wasn't the NovaSure. Has anyone younger had either of these procedures done, and how is it working for you?
An_224658 responded:
I'm sorry none of the forms of birth control you tried worked for you.

Please be sure to educate yourself about any procedure before proceeding with one. Many of them have adverse effects that a lot of doctors or radiologists fail to tell their patients. At least your doctor told you about the common side effects of heavier bleeding and cramping after tubal ligation. There are other common adverse effects; it's referred to as Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome.

Here's a post explaining the adverse effects of tubal ligation and hysterectomy:

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have been on BC pills for 16 years so I get my period every 28 days.Recently I had an abnormal pap smear and have to go see an OBGYN to see if there...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.