Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    how do you cope
    goingslightlymad posted:
    my 15 year old son was dignosed with adhd and odd 2 years ago, he tried medication but soon began to refuse to take them and refuses to see the consultant to disscuss any other kind of medication. He is volitile, destructive agresive, defiant, rude and downright difficult all day every day. He wont go to school (lol not that he is in school any longer having been excluded from main stream education and the pupil referal unit transfered him after only a mounth as they could not cope with his behaviour, so now he goes to external provision 3 half days a week ) he wont go to bed he wont get up he walks in and out of the house as he pleases refusing to even just come and say mum im going out he wont come in when he is supposed to staying out till whatever time he pleases. He wont talk to anyone about how he feels and insists that he does not have a problem. has anyone got any suggestions as to what i can do to help him understand how his behaviour affects others
    out_sider responded:
    im no parent or expert, but it seems to me he shows signs of oppositional defiant disorder. ask your son's doctor if a mobile therapist (mt), behavioral specialist consultant (bsc), or a therapeutic staff support (tss) exists in the state you live in. if you live in pennsylvania, they exist here.
    goingslightlymad replied to out_sider's response:
    no i live in the united kingdom getting any help from anywhere is realy difficult he has been on the waiting list for camhs (child adolesent mental health service for 8 mounths and we are still waiting for them to make the first vist) trying to get him on to behaviour thearpy but its the same thing there. i was basically given the diagnosis of adhd with odd associated tic and they know have decided that he is on the autistic spectrum a prescription for strattera asnd sent away to cope on my own.
    out_sider replied to goingslightlymad's response:
    am so sorry to hear that. wish i knew what more to say. i do have a couple of books to recommend; "people with autism behaving badly" by john clements, and "working with people with challenging behaviors" by nathan ory.
    goingslightlymad replied to out_sider's response:
    any suggestions are welcome right now thank you for your ideas will look for the titles you have suggested.
    Patricia Quinn, MD responded:
    Dear Going

    There is an organization for parents of children with ADHD in the UK ...visit They have lots of info and support.

    Pat Quinn, MD

    Featuring Experts

    My foray into the field of ADHD began by chance. In 1999, I picked up a library book about the brain. And what I read changed my life and my husband&#...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.