Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

    Where to start researching?
    An_191070 posted:
    I just read all the posts here, and want to thank all who shared their amazing stories (and best wishes to those still pursuing).

    I have a toddler, and my husband and I are considering adopting a 2nd child to add to our family (in another year or more). We won't likely go through the biological process again for multiple reasons, and we don't necessarily want to adopt a newborn (for several reasons).

    We are wondering where to start researching adoption for older babies/toddlers/older children. I started looking online, but of course was inundated with too much non-formal information from the internet.

    If you have any pointers on where to begin researching, I would greatly appreciate it.
    FrmGirl responded:
    You could look into your local DFS (Department of Family Services) agency. They will have older children in the foster-to-adopt program.
    Another place to look is the yellow pages. Look under adoption and see what agencies are around your area. If there aren't any, you can always go to or and look under adoption agencies to find an agency close to you.

    Good luck on your journey and I wish you the best!!! Keep us posted!!!
    fiannakyn replied to FrmGirl's response:
    Usualy your best route is via the DFS, they do straight adoptions too, where the child may have been in a foster home, and paretal right have already been terminated. And they do have many "older" children. You do not have to be a foster parent first, but you may have to attend all the classes anyway. This way is also the "cheapest" as it's state funded.

    One of the other options is international special needs adoptions. google Reeses Ranbow (I think thats right) its an agancy that deals with downs syndrom children in eastern europe/russia
    Vicky(33), married 10 years, no children. Fought (and lost) infertility for all 10 years. Moving on to adoption, hoping to be able to do it via foster system.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    Dec, 2011 Hi, I'm Vicky, my husband is named Ashley (really!) and we've been married for over 10 years. I have PCOS so we struggled with infer...More

    Helpful Tips

    Be the first to post a Tip!

    Helpful Resources

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.