Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/allergies/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

How I escape corticoid dependence
    thanhkiev posted:
    I'm 40 and live in Vietnam. My post is to share about how I could avoid using Medrol after long time dependence on it, and ask advice to what I need to do next, because some scratches remain.

I have eczema from 8 until 16, when I moved to Ukraine. It came back again when I returned to Vietnam in 2008. (I thought it could be weather allergy, but after living 3 months in San Diego - I didn't find the same effects like when I lived in Ukraine)

It became severe in 2011, then doctor prescribe me 16mg medrol tablets (2 tablet/day), down to 1 tablet/day after 5 days. But after that, I cannot avoid using medrol for next 5 years.

After several tries, I reduced using medrol to one 4mg medrol tablet/day - then for a week, and now I didn't use it for 15 days and feel well, however some scratch and itchy remained.

To reach this condition, I take per day: 1 tablet of 10mg Zyrtec, 3 tablets of Adus (each contains 50mg Ursodesoxycholic acid, Thiamine monotrate 10mg, Riboflavin 5mg), 9 tablets of Ca-gai-leo (extracts from Solanum Trilobatum) and Dermovat ointment. I took bath with cool water and ocean salt for 20 min everyday - I feel better after bath.

I made blood test, that show me having allergy on cats (but indeed, I feel comfort with cats). In practice, I saw allergic symptoms intense after consuming excessive alcohol, but it's okay with a little of wine or beer.

Even though, eczema symptoms remained - now it on fingers (previously on hands and legs), and some small in hands and legs. I'd like to ask if I could using the same tablets described above for a long time just to keep my skin disease not to intensify, or I could take another treatment to depressed all symptoms.

Thank you a lot./

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
    Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center