Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/allergies/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Allergic to my car?
    An_267800 posted:
    Hello! - I think I may be allergic to my new car. It is brand new & I have read where people can be allergic to all the toxins in new cars, especially the ones with leather seats. I also read that it can take 6 months for those toxins to finally get out. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so, what have your symptoms been? My symptoms have been that the inside of my mouth, the inside of my lips and my tongue. They seem dry and my tongue is tingly & numb just at the front of it. By the way my mouth feels one would think to look inside it would be all red and stuff, but it just looks normal. That's why I know it has to be an allergic reaction. Unfortunately it is not only while I am in the car with the windows down, it still feels that way when I am not in my car, just not as intense. I cannot take Benadryl, so I took Zyrtec and it helps a little. So if you have any advice or have had this happen please let me know how long it lasts and if there is anything I can do? Please & Thank You!

An_253875 responded:
    Congratulations on the new car. You can never get rid of 100% the toxins. You can just reduce the concentration to a level you can tolerate, and for some people that takes years. You can get rid of the fumes more quickly by letting the car sit in the hot sun for a while. Turning on the heater might work to burn them out also. You can also buy an air purifier or ionizer for your car to plug into the cigarette lighter, and you can move the purifier to any other car you use because once you've been sensitized to one car, other cars will probably bother you even if they weren't a problem before. You may also have to start being careful with full-service car washes that use toxins to clean the inside of your car. Hope the Zyrtec keeps working so you don't have to ride in a car like a dog, with your head hanging out the window.

cochran66 replied to An_253875's response:
    Thank you for your response! We are trying to determine if in fact it is the car. I am now driving a different vehicle to see if the symptoms subside. I am assuming it will take a little bit of time for the symptoms to go away since I had been driving the car for over a month. Have you or someone you know experienced symptoms to the toxins in a new car? If so what were they?
    Thanks!

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
    Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center