Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/allergies/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

allergic to plastic
    ashleyfarris posted:
    My six month old son is allergic to plastic! I personally did not even know this was possible. But my husband and I are having a huge problem- bottles. I cannot find, anywhere, a bottle that does not contain plastic. I have switched to the Born Free glass bottles- they worked for about a month and now he is having allergic reactions to them. My son has puzzled our allergists. The only thing we can figure out is that the coating on the plastic venting system is wearing off and the element that is in the plastic that he is allergic to is leaching into his bottles. Does anyone have any idea on what I can do or where I can find a bottle that is truly 100% PLASTIC FREE? I am open to anything or any advice I can get.

PEGALLERGY1 responded:
    What your son maybe allergic to is called polypropylene plastic. My 15 year old daughter became allergic (severe hives) to polyethylene glycol (Miralax) six months ago (3 er visits and no doctor could figure out, 2 reactions from aleve, 1 from tylenol ). This stuff is all related and goes by many names depending on the application it is used for (example PEG). It is a man made formula that is used in FOOD, toothpaste, shampoos, MOST of our medications, making plastics etc... There is no test for it that I'm aware of. Have you tried calling or e-mailing the bottle companies? Good luck. This is a tough situation keep a diary if you can, it helps link things together. My daughter's tongue swelled up after chewing on a straw, bad rash under arms from deodorant, sores on scalp from shampoos. Read Labels it will totally shock you.

Take Care,

Diane

undefined responded:
    My name is Daniella Welsh,
    I have had a confirmed medical plastic allergy by a Nashua allergist in Nh as well as one from a doctor named Anthony Morris in Mendocino California . For the past 9 years I have endured numerous ambulance emergencies with difficulty breathing, swelling, hives, painful peeling lips, depression, and seizures that have resulted in brain damage. I have had to relearn to read and write. It has come to my attention that I am far from alone in suffering from syntheticestrogens and chemicals from plastics in our food and in our environment. I believe that laws must be implemented to protect people and the eco-system from this multi-billion dollar industry.
    Most food comes in plastics and this makes life quite difficult. I am 24 years old and currently enrolled in community college in Mendocino and have started my own non-profit (focused on preventing depression),

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
    Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center