Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/allergies/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityManageme[email protected]

Drooling from Allergies
    Ticron posted:
    Hey all,

I have seasonal allergies that flare up around the start of winter. I don't get hives, a runny/stuffy nose, or anything like that. But what happens is I start drooling... a lot. It's quite inconvenient and disgusting because I basically have to carry a cup everywhere I go to spit in every 10 seconds. Not to mention how it tears up my throat and stomach from swallowing it all.

I've tried every OTC allergy medicine on the market, the only one with any effect is Loratadine and its fairly minor. Flonase works great, but only lasts about 30 minutes. Is there any sort of drug out there that can give me dry mouth? I know it's kind of a strange request, but I'd rather be constantly drinking than being a living waterworks.

-Desperate in Cincinnati

Aqua14 responded:
    I'd question whether this is really caused by allergies, but obviously a physician would know for sure. But let's assume that it is.

You could try a stronger antihistamine that has more of a drying effect. Benadryl is well-known for having a drying effect on nose, mouth and eyes; it lasts for about 4 hours, and you have to be careful about driving when taking it, as it does affect your central nervous system about the same as having a couple of alcoholic drinks. Plus, it may make you very sleepy. Chlor-Trimeton is similar to Benadryl but may not cause as much sleepiness. Zyrtec is another choice that doesn't have the side effects of drowsiness or effect on driving.

Have you tried an oral decongestant like Sudafed? The original Sudafed is kept behind the pharmacy counter in many states, and works a lot better than the new Sudafed on the drugstore shelves.

If Flonase seems to work, you might also try a nasal spray called Atrovent (generic: ipratropium). Atrovent's only effect is to dry up a runny nose. I use it frequently before skiing or exercising in cold weather, because then I don't have to blow my nose all the time. It works really well and has no side effects that I can determine.

Hopefully these suggestions help you out. Take care and good luck. Judy

Helpful Tips

Eczema CareExpert
    Emerging research has shown that skin barrier dysfunction plays a central role in atopic dermatitis. Both the involved skin and even the ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    26 of 36 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center