Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/brain-nervous-system-disorder/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Happy Memorial Day!
    davedsel2 posted:
    Please click on my username or avatar picture to read my story.

Blessings,

-Dave
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

cjh1203 responded:
    I second that, Dave, and hope you had a nice Memorial Day.

Anything new on your hip surgery?

Carol

davedsel2 replied to cjh1203's response:
    Hi, Carol!

Everything is falling into place for my right total hip replacement on 6/15/15. Unfortunately, this is my wife's birthday. I told her my present would be that she no longer has to hear me moan and complain about my right hip pain. LOL.

If all goes well, my left hip will be replaced about 3 months after the right. I have my pre-op appointment with the hospital this Friday 5/29, then final approval from my primary doctor on 6/9.

The hospital I'm going to has a dedicated knee and hip replacement center. I will have a private room for about 3 days, then go to their rehab center which is at the back of the hospital for a few days. When I come hope, a physical therapist will come to the house every day for 3 or 4 days to make sure I'm doing the exercises and everything is healing properly.

I am so looking forward to getting some hip pain relief. And so is my wife so she does not have to hear me gripe about it all the time.

Blessings,

-Dave

cjh1203 replied to davedsel2's response:
    I'm so glad you'll have this first big step out of the way soon, Dave! I know it will make a world of difference, even before the second hip replacement.

Keep us posted!

Best wishes-
    Carol

Is everything all set for your surgery on Monday, Dave?

I'll be thinking of you. When you're feeling up to it, I'd love to hear how you're doing. Best wishes for smooth sailing all the way through -- I know you'll be so happy to have this done!

Carol

Hi, Carol.

Yes, all set. My primary doctor gave me his final clearance this past Tuesday. Only problem is that I am slightly anemic. My hemoglobin count was 9.3, and they like it to be above 10 for surgery. Even slight anemia can increase the risks following major surgery - including death - by as much as 42%. So, I had to go to the hospital the following morning and get a transfusion - just one unit. I'm also taking iron pills so should be fine in that area.

The hospital will call me tomorrow with my surgery time, which will probably be early in the morning on Monday. I am looking forward to the relief from right hip pain, just no the surgery itself. Then, if all goes well, my surgeon will take care of my left hip in about 3 months.

Thanks for asking.

Blessings,

-Dave

I'm sorry you had that little glitch, Dave, but glad it could be taken care of relatively easily. I've been anemic for years, and nobody ever told me it could affect the outcome of my surgeries.

You're having the minimally-invasive surgery, aren't you? That's not the kind I had, so I don't know what it's like. The maximally-invasive version (don't know what it's really called!) I had wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared, and I'm sure yours won't be, either. They keep the pain under control and get you up and about pretty quickly. I was climbing stairs with a walker on the third day.

After both surgeries, one thing that really struck me was the noticeable improvement each day brought in my recovery. I think you'll be surprised by that, too. Before you know it, you're getting around fine, and blissfully pain-free.

Enjoy your weekend and try not to worry too much. These things always are always so scary to contemplate, but almost never as bad as we fear.

Looking forward to hearing from you when you're able. My thoughts will be with you Monday.

Carol

The procedure I'm having is called an anterior approach total hip replacement. The surgeon makes an incision in the front of the upper thigh, goes in between muscles and tendons without cutting those and does the replacement procedure. I've researched him and the procedure and am very glad the first doctor did not work out. This procedure is more effective and has less of a recovery time. There will still be physical therapy, but there are cases where people with desk jobs go back to work in two weeks and are playing golf or even riding a bike after four weeks.

The hospital I've chosen has a specialized knee and hip replacement center and is highly rated. I'll have a private room for about the first 3 days, then go to their rehab center for a few days. After coming home, a physical therapist will come to the house for a few days to help me continue my therapy and keep tabs on me.

I believe everything happens for a reason. I am nervous and not looking forward to the surgery, but the whole process should go well and I will have less hip pain. I also really did not like the first surgeon who cancelled my surgery in March, but like this new surgeon very much. He has an excellent reputation and has done about 500 of these procedures, so I am confident in his abilities.

Thank you for you good thoughts and kind words. Much needed and appreciated.

Blessings,

-Dave

davedsel2 replied to davedsel2's response:
    I came home from the hospital Wednesday afternoon. I am on morphine, so a bit loopy. The surgery went pretty well with some minor complications. My hip was far worse that the surgeon originally thought, and I bled a lot and needed two transfusions. A physical therapist came at 10:30 am yesterday and a nurse is coming today to take blood and examine me. While I have pain from the incision, the joint pain is gone. Now I just have to heal and see the surgeon in his office on 6/29.

Blessings,

-Dave

It's great to hear from you, Dave! I'm glad you're home instead of having to go to a rehab facility, and glad that you're feeling pretty good.

Sometimes it's good to feel loopy.

I hope your recovery will be speedy and smooth -- I'm sure you'll notice improvement every day.

Are you on a walker for now?

Keep me posted, and be sure to do your exercises!

Carol

Hi, Carol.

Yes, I'm using a walker now. I had gotten a nice roller walker with seat that is red before my surgery. I was trying to walk in the neighborhood for more weight loss, but just could not do it. I will probably use this walker for few weeks or until instructed otherwise by my doctor or physical therapist.

The hospital staff thought I should go to the rehab center for a few days, by my surgeon and I agreed I would recover best at home. They will come to the house very few days for physical therapy, occupation therapy, and nurse will come to draw blood and check me over. I feel I am getting just as much attention as I would in the rehab center, plus I am with my family on my very comfortable recliner and am so very glad to be home and that the surgery is over. Next one on the left if I continue to heal well in about 3 months.

Blessings,

-Dave

Hi Dave-
    My doctor felt the same about recovering at home. He said that his patients who spent time in rehab facilities tended not to recover as well.

I didn't have a recliner after my first hip surgery and it was miserable -- couldn't get comfortable anywhere. Having one with the second surgery made a world of difference.

After the first replacement, I probably used the walker for a little over three weeks before switching to a cane for a couple of weeks. The second time, I only used the walker for a week and the cane for less than two weeks. I think the difference was that I wasn't a fearful and apprehensive the second time around, and felt more confident during my recovery.

You seem to be doing great! It's good to hear from you, and I look forward to more updates.

Carol

cjh1203 replied to cjh1203's response:
    How are you getting along by now, Dave? I hope you're feeling like a new man -- at least on your right side!

Carl

Hi, Carol.

I think I am progressing nicely. On Friday I started to be able to walk through the house without my walker most times. My physical therapist comes 3 times per week and says I am doing great. Incision is healing well and pain is well managed. Had to stop morphine due to severe itching, so switched to just muscle relaxer.

I see the surgeon Monday for follow-up. If incision looks good to him, staples and stitches will be removed. Having no joint pain in the right hip is great and has lessened the pain in the left hip. While this surgery basically went well and recovery is going good, I am not in too much of a hurry to have another for a while. I'll see what the surgeon says Monday.

Thanks for asking.

Blessings,

-Dave

It sounds like you're doing really well, Dave. I hope you're able to get the stitches and staples out tomorrow -- that's a big milestone.

I can understand why you're not eager to jump into another surgery right away, because it's no fun at all, but maybe once you've recovered a bit more from this one and see what a difference it's made, you'll be more ready to get the other one done. In any case, it's great to hear that this one has made such a difference.

Carol

Helpful Tips

need tips- dad moving in with alzhemers
    My dad is moving this weekend with Alzheimers any helpful tips or info would be helpful.. I wish I knew... More
    Was this Helpful?
    8 of 16 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.