Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

I can't stop humming...Help!
    kinikia1948 posted:
    I'm not sure what my problem is, but I definitly have one. I keep humming to myself unware most of the time that I'm doing it. (It is not a song) My husband has to tell me to stop. This has been going on for some time now but it seems to be getting worse. Am I alone with this or is there someone else out there who has this very annoying problem? I need to learn how to stop this or find out what is causing it. Can anyone help? I'm not sure if it's anxiety because it happens even when I'm relaxed.

BobAnnBlessed responded:
    You are not alone.I also do it all the time for no reason.Not even a song.I just hum.I would like to know why also.

SophieWise replied to misstara1969's response:
    About 2 yrs ago I started taking Pristiq for depression. My husband has dementia and I was trying to cope and stay calm. The very next day I woke up humming, and I interpreted this as being happy. I hum tunes, often familiar ones, sometimes made up. I have thought the humming was bbecause I was happy and coping. Then I began to notice that I do it where ever I go, and people do look at me sometimes. When I occasionally miss a pill, my head starts to buzz and "knock knock"" so I quickly take a pill. I still hum a whole lot. I wonder about all this. My Dr. said ho hum basically when I menioned this. Said it must be nice. I don't know whether to worry or not, but I think there is some mental connection to the med and that scares me. After 5 yrs. on this site, no MD has answered.

Paragontwo responded:
    Hi, have you ever gotten an answer to your humming issue? I have the same problem/condition & don't know what direction to take exactly to search for an answer. I told my husband that it's almost like a tic.

EnnaKay responded:
    I don't hum, but for the last 3 years, I have had an ongoing "rhythm" going on in my mind which makes reading and writing very difficult at times because everything I read or write is in this "rhythm." This does not affect my speech or listening ability. It started during a stressful time and is sometimes worse (faster) than at other times, but continues even when I am relaxed. At times, when I think of or read some words (such as a sign), those words will repeat themselves in my mind. I think of it as echolalia, a condition some have, but it goes on in my mind and is never verbal. Yes, it sometimes drives me crazy, especially because I love to read and have had to learn to read in "rhythm" and this is REALLY HARD. Does anyone out there have this problem? I've told only one person about this as it is so hard to describe, but she understands because she has the humming problem. HELP!

jonesy257 responded:
    Hi, did you find an answer to this problem because I have it. I don't realise I am doing it but I find it is exhausting. People look at me in the shops and it annoys my sister.

An_254012 replied to BobAnnBlessed's response:
    I have this exact problem. It has gotten worse and it drives my husband crazy. He can't stand it and I'm sure I do it where ever I am. If I do it at work, I'm surprized I'm still there. No song just humming. We really have to find out why? Why we do it. I do have a movement disorder but we don't know what. My neurologist is ruling out diseases one by one. I've never told her about my humming but now that I know I'm not alone with this and don't think I'm crazy, I'll tell her and will tell everyone what I find out.

justjessicat responded:
    I have to laugh because I'm in that same boat with you!! I am well on the way of driving my husband batty-- and myself two steps after! I have tried music. Sometimes a win but often I find distracts me and I find I humm over it And --silence- Like others who responded, it seems dependant on the amount of stress in which I find myself under as the threshold of quiet I am capable without humming kicking in as a soothing/sound barrier For me, distraction IS the commonality... I'd say its almost autopilot with a hidden purpose. I am a little OCD, a nail biter (I know-I know), and have a healthy dose of type A personality in me though with age, I've mellowed. I do take Synthyriod, but not any of the other medications anyone listed. I'm in pretty good healthy, mid40's...

undefined replied to justjessicat's response:
    It seems absurd that this hasn't been figured out. It's not like this is not affecting peoples lives. It is causing disruption and needs to be addressed. I try and tell my roommate about it but she takes it very personally. It's especially difficult to hear when you don't feel well.

annoyinghummer replied to SophieWise's response:
    Yes, why doesn't an MD answer this MD website? I too am a hummer. I've hummed for a little over a year. I noticed that most of the hummers are women and I too am on an anti-depressant. Mine (welbutrin) is not a "quick in, quick out" of your system kind. I also take a small mg ADD med. I also have a bit of OCD has something to do with it. (ok, now I know what the problem is.... I'm nuts!!) I took care of my mother 3 years ago while she battled cancer..... unsuccessfully. During the same time the economy caused major problems with my business and I am also raising children. So, major stress... so much so that I lost 20 lbs, which wasn't to bad!! Everyone said that I looked horrid though. Whatever. So, I think anti-depressant, OCD, stress & caretaker is a link. Any thoughts on this?

annoyinghummer replied to justjessicat's response:
    same here..... driving myself crazy. My husband and I work together, but he isn't easily distracted so it doesn't bother him. I too am mid..... no, crap... I'm late 40's! I am stressed a lot. I am on an anti-depressant, small mg med for ADD & am a little bit OCD. Good grief, is all of this possible in one being? I too bite my nails & pick at my fingers. Just recently, I've noticed that I hum more when I am bored. When I'm stressed, I hum faster. Even if I am watching tv or listen to an audiobook, I can hum and not notice it. What causes this?

bigdadyglenn responded:
    You guys are not alone I do this all the time. I sing, I hum, I rock myself, I bit my shirt collar. I drive everyone around me nuts. My boss will walk in the office and ask my why I am singing or humming, I normally don't answer him. I been going through these attacks for many years but over the last 2 they have become very intense and bad.

wendyhum responded:
    Hello Kinikia. I hope you have resolved your humming, along with everyone else here. I too thought I was the only one who hummed. I can't stop - ever. Sleep seems to be my only reprieve. I tell myself to stop, and a few seconds later I have started again. It's driving me mad. I don't know if this will help anyone, but I am on quite a few antidepressants, I had surgery for DBS (deep brain stimulation) about 18 months ago. A few months ago I started taking Adderall. I can't remember if the humming started right after the Adderall or not. I'm pretty sure it did. I talked with my Psychiatrist about it, and he said that sometimes stimulants can intensify OCD symptoms. I have noticed little OCD things, but I never thought it was a condition for me. Anyhow, I'm getting a bit of benefit from the adderall, so I have been hesitant to switch stimulants, but I now think I will have to, before I drive myself and others mad. Has anyone had a similar experience?

royal1 responded:
    It is really a unique problem which you are sharing with us. I have seen people humming but they have their control on that. I really want to know about this disorder.

justjessicat replied to 30071238's response:
    Not that I know your roommate, but maybe-- for some of us-- it takes longer we are doing things and-- because it seems so easy, maybe when she does think about it, she can stop it. It would be when she does it without that conscious thought and the shame/embarrassment she feels that causes her reaction..?
    If you have pointed this out to her, surely you aren't the only person she has resided with that has and probably not the only one who has ever noticed... Perhaps your methods of addressing her humming were 'nice' but those before you were not, that doesn't excuse her overreaction or sensitivity to the subject but it may explain it. Could it be as a friend if you were to approach her differently-- say-- so she might have an understanding you understand where she not be aware and may have had her feelings hurt but that wasn't your intentions, that your intentions were that you wanted her to be aware and for your own peace. That there could easily be some resolution if you worked together...?

justjessicat replied to annoyinghummer's response:
    I am not currently working in the medical field, though I have and am an avid reader. Psychology and neurosciences offer interest theories. That seems to be the way it works-- theories.
    Many conflicting...
    From my understanding, as a non-doctor, non-certified person, OCD would be in degrees and depending on how extreme it could be, might range from 'normal' where it wouldn't affect daily life to abnormal-- where when it does it falls on the Axis II- which would be classified as a PERSONALITY DISORDER by the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistic Manual) the guidelines used to categorize by professionals, I think they are on update #4.
    With that being said, there are a variety of personality disorders. They are the most common disorders that occur in the general populous, have a high misdiagnosis rate according to many studies, respond well to cognitive behavioral therapy and DBT but symptomology often needs to be treated individually as there isn't medication for specific disorders that fall within the boundaries of each classifications. For example, there is no medication made specifically for OCD but there are medications that can be helpful to treat certain typically occurring behaviors within that disorder should the clinician feel it would be beneficial to the person.
    It seems that personality disorders are detectable by MRI, that they occurring within the amygdala-- our emotional regulation center.
    This tiny, connection center is responsible for how we process emotion, pleasure, fear and imminent danger. It would stand to reason that high stress might be seen by a person as both, thus amplifying production of chemicals within the brain (or limbic system which would include the hormones the body produces in response to the brain's cues.
    Though much of these established theories have endless information and seem to evolve daily, little has been mentioned about humming.
    LOL It would seem that it may likely be an unlikely symptom within something that has a broad range that doesn't occur, isn't well defined, and is misdiagnosed.
    Oh... and then there would be that certain aspects of personality disorders are stigmatized according to this research, which considering the source, (YALE UNIVERSITY), I find disheartening and believable by default.
    Information specific: http://youtu.be/_t_NqEP80GE
    There are many sites that are helpful to learn from YouTube from Yale as well as other established universities because it provides answers I had been searching for.
    With that information, I have an understanding than I did not before.
    Doctor Marsha Linehan and her theories and concepts might be of some interest and have been found to be effective on BPD, OCD, and many other comorbid extensions such as addition, eating disorders, phobias-- not limited to the Axis II area-- and/or easily intergraded into cognitive therapy in personal or group dynamic.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

hangover anxiety
    I have been having the exact same problem. I used to get a mild anxiety each time I had a hangover but it was always something I could deal ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.