Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Includes Expert Content
    Pin Prick/Biting, Itchy feeling
    bkw62173 posted:
    I have had this problem for a few years now. Although I have moved quite a bit in the past few years, because of moving to new environments and bedding/furniture, as I have not used the same ones at each place, and I launder everything in hot water/hot dryer, I can rule out things like bug bites, but it feels like something is crawling on me and/or biting me but when i look, there is nothing there, it is all over my body and all/any time of day or night. I do not have any rash or bug bite sores on me. It is consuming my life, it is not only a nuisance and embarrassing but very emotional too! Please help someone!

Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    Anxiety and stress can cause some of these problems which you are experiencing and I would suggest that you consider looking at where in your life you may be experiencing the stress. You indicated that you had "moved quite a bit in the past few years" and that would seem to me to be something that would cause quite a bit of stress in anyone's life.

I'm assuming that you have been checked out by your PCP to ensure that there is nothing medical that needs to be addressed. If that is the case, and everything has come back fine, then I think that some lifestyle changes might be helpful.

Starting with something that will help you to calm down, I would recommend that you look at our Tips column, watch the relaxation breathing video tutorial and begin to do that on a regular daily basis, several times a day. It is something that you can do anywhere you happen to be and it will be helpful. Next, consider some mild, regular exercise and we do have a number of videos that will help with exercises and I also have these on my website (the URL is below where you see my name).

Special consideration needs to be given to eating a balanced diet, getting enough sleep and having some relaxation or activity that is enjoyable. I don't know if your moves were initiated because of employment or military service or whatever, but it must have been difficult adjusting to each new environment. Environmental changes and changes in friends, coworkers and neighbors can also be very stressful.

I hope you find these suggestions useful in that they do help with your problem.

Dr. Farrell

d4thee replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
    Couldn't it be mites?

ldhall51 responded:
    It may be fungus, and mites... Get you a fogger for mites, and get treated for fungus, and the fungus may be in the nerves.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
    Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.