Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    jaws86-new to this group
    jaws86 posted:
    I had a really severe panic attack Monday and I cant take it anymore. I have chronic back and neck problems added on to this. I thought I was really going to die and was drenched in sweat. I cant take this anymore-help!
    dunnette responded:
    hi i am new to this and have been recently diagnosed with this disorder how are you getting through it?
    Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    Your indication that you have chronic back and neck problems seem to point to some issues not only of pain, but of stress associated with this pain and that is usually what happens.

    Having a panic attack in this situation would not be unusual, but I would suggest that you have a thorough medical exam and, possibly, a referral to a specialist for your back and neck problems.

    Did your back and neck problems come as a result of an accident or an ongoing degenerative process? I am not an M.D., but I do know that having these medical problems affect many areas of your life. It may be that you need more than attention for your physical problems and you may even need some physical therapy, but that is for you and your physicians to decide.

    In the meantime, why not try a technique that may be able to lower your stress level and stop or decrease the severity of any anxiety that you are feeling? Please view the relaxation breathing video tutorial in our Tips column and begin to use it on a regular, several times per day basis. It can help and I would suggest that you do it when you are not feeling anxious because once the anxiety begins to kick in it becomes more difficult to control.

    I hope this is helpful and that your medical exam results in your having relief from your other problems too. You might also discuss with your physician, as I said, some physical therapy or at least a mild exercise program that might help you.

    Dr. Farrell
    jaws86 replied to Patricia Farrell, PhD's response:
    I am applying for disability after working 25 years as a nurse. I had four discs rupture in my neck and had a titanium rod placed c3-c7 in 2009. I have four bulging discs in my lumbar spine with developing arthritis. As you can see my stress level is very high. I dont know what else to do.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD replied to jaws86's response:
    You've worked many years at a wonderful, but demanding profession and you've been injured as a result. I've seen this in many healthcare professionals and you have paid into your Disability fund, so now it's time to ask for the help you've always paid for.

    I was a SS Disability consultant for many years and I know that you need current medical records and the cooperation of your docs in this. Take a look at my Disability page on my website which may provide helpful information to you.

    If you should be denied, the most helpful route is to contact one of the nationally known law firms that handles only SS Disability claims. They have a very high rate of "wins" and their fees are set by law.

    Dr. Farrell

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    hangover anxiety
    I have been having the exact same problem. I used to get a mild anxiety each time I had a hangover but it was always something I could deal ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.