Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1.Head over to this page:

    2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    Panic Attacks
    tuzdae06 posted:
    My dad who is 67 and has been on pain meds for 20 years has weened himself down to a quarter of a Vicodin. Every time he takes a quarter of this pain med it causes him to have extreme anxiety that last for hours. Should he go back to taking his pain meds like prescribed or what else can he do for the pain?? My concern is that taking a whole pain pill might make the anxiety worse?? Please help.
    Patricia Farrell, PhD responded:
    I am not an M.D., and I would suggest that your father discuss this with whoever is providing the prescription for him. Twenty years is a long time to be on medication of this type and there may be some things that he and his prescriber need to work out.

    Please be sure that he left his prescriber know about this extreme anxiety, which may actually be a symptom of a withdrawal syndrome.

    Featuring Experts

    Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

    Helpful Tips

    Useful tip
    If you Start to get anxious Blow your tumb it helps More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 3 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.