Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at CommunityMa[email protected]

Anxiety about aches and pains
    JKennethG posted:
    I'm 53, male, non-smoker (quit in 2007), used to be a heavy drinker but don't drink anymore (quit in 2014) and not a (illegal) drug user. I think I'm in decent shape, not obese or exceedingly fat, and try to exercise daily by walking and sometimes shoot baskets at the local basketball court. I was diagnosed with essential high blood pressure in 2014 (hence the quitting of drinking) and have slightly elevated cholesterol. Blood sugar's good and ftmp, my other test readings are within acceptable limits.

Recently, in about the last 6-8 months, I have found myself getting easily worried about all my aches and pains especially in the torso area, and if it involves the upper torso like chest area, forget about it, I practically go into meltdown! Every time I feel a slight twinge in my chest, my heart rate goes up, I get all alert and worried and start to really think about my mortality! This never used to happen to me before and it sometimes makes me so miserable to react adversely to the stuff I feel!

My question is: is this attitude of mine uncommon to many people my age?

I took an online hypochondriac test (mostly for fun) and I answered all the questions honestly and the result came back that I was extremely hypochondriac! Not just regular or a little, but extreme! I don't want to be that way as I age!

Hopefully my background info above can help you offer me some advice about what to do. Or maybe it turns out it's normal for people my age to feel this way! My wife tells me I need to go see a psychiatrist but I really don't favor that idea unless I really have to.

Thanks so much for taking the time!

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

hangover anxiety
    I have been having the exact same problem. I used to get a mild anxiety each time I had a hangover but it was always something I could deal ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.