Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Slowly handling mini "Panic attacks"
    Bleecker_stguy posted:
    hi, I am writing this to share and get feedback from others on my mental state. I am software consultant who doesn't drink or do drugs or smoke.
    I have had stress related to work and family problems. This stress has manifested itself with me sometimes questioning whether I am doing the best thing in life, whether I have a bright future or no, and other negative emotions. In real life I am a successful software consultant living a nice lifestyle in Manhattan NYC, so no complaints there.
    I started recognizing some patterns about those negative emotions :
    • Sleep related : I usually get them if I don;t get a full night sleep, and wake up a bit groggy, also if I wake up and not shower or brush my teeth immediately. Those things usually put me in that negative state. To resolve that I make sure I get some solid sack time and the minute I wake up I shower, brush my teeth, and have my coffee.
    • I think the work stress I experienced was severe, But I was able to maneuver and handle it, this was in my past not in my presence, I didn;t understand my emotions and why do I remember those bad memories since they are not there anymore!! I still don;t know the answer to that?
    • Because manhattan is a dense island, I sometimes bump into managers or people from my past who did contribute or cause the stressful situations I was in, and just seeing those people ignites another mini panic attack !!.
    Now what I have done in the past 7 years to alleviate the emotional aspects of my stressfull history is :
    • Exercise, this is an essential part of my day. I do powerlifting and hit the gym daily. I don;t exercise vanity muscle or to show off but I mainly do Squats, deadlifts, bench press, and military press. I love that because I get an endorphine buzz that is like a drug to me.
    • I am much faster in my mental strength, this manifests itself with me easily realizing who I want to socialize with and who I don't.
    • I am aa consultant and self employed, no boss and work from home. Much relaxing and easier, not as lucrative as an employee
    I am always trying to be introspective and look internally to see and explore the root of my emotions, I still get some mini panic attacks or have other ppl being aggressive towards me with me not able to react fast enough, but the difference is that in the past 12 months I started realizing that when a panic attack occurs, I can recover from it through just reasoning it out! Meaning I say to myself " You should;nt feel like this, you lift daily, you have travel every 3 months, you control your work, clientele, There is no real reason for you to be stressed". This line of talk before would be effective after at least 12 hours of being stressed, now the panic attack I think usually is less.
    Would love to hear from you guys, any feedback or questions that I can answer that might illuminate other aspects I am not aware of.

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

hangover anxiety
    I have been having the exact same problem. I used to get a mild anxiety each time I had a hangover but it was always something I could deal ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.