Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1.Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/mental-health/

2.Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Panic Progress
    Cheryl369 posted:
    I have severe panic attacks. I get so physically ill and used to get them nocturnally which were easy to hide. So many trips to the ER convinced I was dying. After a year on Paxil 30mg which cured them for me, I weaned off and had five or six years that were panic-free. For over a year now, they have crept back into my life. This time they appear all times of day and night and for no reason except I did start menopause and had an EXTREMELY stressful year dealing with sick family members and a death. I have found, after several tries, a wonderful therapist and Cognative Behavioral Therapy under his direction has begun to give me relief. The panic still comes routinely but I'm getting better at managing it. I'm working on my stress, breathing, positive thinking and redirection. Im not using Paxil this time. I have Xanax for severe episodes but try to use that only if i absolutely need to. I read a lot and journal and do my best to keep them at bay. When they happen, I try to ride them out with little reaction which is so hard because they make me feel so horrible but not reacting as hard as that is, shuts them down. They see you're not in danger after all and they start to become weaker and more manageable. I look at panic as my friend now, doing its job to keep me safe by starting my "fight or flight" but I let it know by not reacting that im fine. I hope some day that they go away completely again because they are exhausting!!!! Until then my "friend" and I are trying to get along and communicate in a way that keeps them from triggering inappropriately. It's a long journey and so different for every panic sufferer but it's nice to read these comments and support each other. Keep working to find your personal solution!!! We are perfectly imperfect works in progress.
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 2 found this helpful

rohvannyn responded:
    I love the idea of treating your anxiety like a friend who is trying to protect you, but may be doing it inappropriately. That's really AWESOME. It sounds like it's helping you too and that's also great. Thank you for sharing your experience! I have a lot of fear at times, and I think it might be good if I started thinking of that fear as a friend trying to protect me from danger, but one I can talk sense to. Sometimes I'm as bad as a spooky horse. "I swear that garden hose is a snake!"

Featuring Experts

Reid Wilson, PhD is an international expert in the treatment of anxiety disorders, with books translated into nine languages. He is author of Don...More

Helpful Tips

Dr. Farrell's WebMD TV videosExpert
    Dr. Farrell has a series of 12 videos that cover everything from your need for sleep, inheriting anxiety disorders, positive self-talk and ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    68 of 85 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.