Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Asmanex too expensive - any alternatives?
    jeanniey posted:
    I've been using the Asmanex Twisthaler for the past few years and it's been working well except for when I'd get a cold or the flu, then it gets bad enough where I would have to use my rescue inhaler also.

My work has changed my insurance coverage over the past 2 years where I now have to pay for every penny of everything (doctor's visits, medicines, etc.) for the first $3500 before insurance pays for a penny of it. I recently got a new 3-month refill of Asmanex and it's almost $500. That means that just this one medicine alone will cost me over $2000 a year.

I have an appointment for an annual physical this Thursday so I'd like to ask my doctor for any kind of generic or cheaper asthma drugs to try. I would appreciate hearing what medicines you may be taking that's not so expensive and that might still work. My asthma's mild most of the time except during the cold seasons.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

sgbl88 responded:
    I feel your pain. I am going to have to go on private insurance if I can get it.

Unfortunately there are not many options for cheap generic meds. The laws banning cfc's forced pharms to re-formulate their medications so the all have relatively new patents.

Some things for you to try.
    1) check online for a coupon from the manufacturer. This will usually save you at least $50 per perscription, but they are usually not good if you buy three months at a time.

2) check out www.rxassist.com That is a website that will link you to companies and the assistance programs for just about any medication.

3) A pulmacort neb may work for you. It does come generic. The down side is that you will have to spend 10 minutes or so doing a breathing treatment instead of inhaler, rinse and go.

Just some thoughts. I hope someone else chimes in with some good ideas.

Sonya
    Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end... Ye shall seek me, and find [me]

Helpful Tips

exercise
    I ve been trying to inmporve the slight asthma i have by exercising more More
    Was this Helpful?
    12 of 14 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center