Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Friend having BT in 9 days
    THayward1953 posted:
    My friend is 81 with advanced asthma and COPD. She is scheduled for her 1st BT in 9 days and is very anxious and apprehensive about the whole thing. Is there anything anyone could suggest to prepare her for this procedure?

Also, is there any other board or chat room where this is discussed?

Thank you.

cwille responded:
    hi, the procedure itself isn't that bad, for me it was after. My asthma is severe cough variant type so for me when I woke up I couldn't stop coughing. Like everything it all depends on the person. From all my research it helps a lot of people. I am on a forum called mdjunction. it is a real good website that has a whole lot of forums, I am on the asthma forum and myasthenia gravis forum (muscle disease) but there is a lot of other forums also , it is a good place to just ask questions , vent, see what other people are doing or went through. The web site is mdjunction.com. Good luck and GOD BLESS.

An_266100 replied to cwille's response:
    What does this procedure involve?

cwille replied to An_266100's response:
    There are 3 procedures, for me it was the lower right lung first than after awhile it was the lower left lung than the top of both lungs, it is done on an outpatient surgery. I was told about a month apart for each procedure. It is like have a bronchoscopy, except when they go in they I want to say burn the bronchialtubes to make them wider. It is best to go on google and do a search on bronchial thermoplasty. For me because I have other issues , I had difficulty when I woke up I started to cough and couldn't stop, so I stayed about a week in the hospital each time, again I have other problems that is not the norm. From what I have read people usually do well with it. It doesn't hurt but everybody is different. For me the procedure hasn't worked, I still have problems with the coughing and asthma, but it was a chance for me worth taking. I hope it works out for your friend. Good luck.

GIV3N2FLY replied to cwille's response:
    Cwille- Can you identify anything in particular that would have made the procedure ineffective for you?

Helpful Tips

Inhaler UseExpert
    For those who use daily inhaled steroids (controller medication) make sure to rinse out your mouth with water or brush your teeth after ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    56 of 149 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center