Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Vitamin D
    happy2561 posted:
    A year ago, my asthma worsened and I had to take Symbicort every night or else I would wake up throughout the night due to shortness of breath despite using albuterol. During the day, I had to use the albuterol 5-8 times. Then I read something about the connection between Vitamin D and asthma. I immediately went through my blood work for the last three years and sure enough, my Vitamin D level went down from 18ng/mL three years ago, to 8, and 6 last year. Then I started taking 4000IU of Vitamin D everyday three months ago. Six weeks later, I could get through the day without using the albuterol once. It was amazing. Then I determined to check on my shortness of breath at night and found an article about breathing through the nose. I started training myself to breathe through my nose, not my mouth a month ago. And now I slept through the night without using Symbicort!!! I hope to share this experience with people who suffer from asthma. Feel free to ask me any questions if you may have. I don't like taking a lot of medication. I wasn't diagnosed with asthma until I was 37 and had a severe asthma attack in the middle of the night that I passed out before the ambulance arrived. So I full understand how scary it is. Have the doctor check your Vitamin D level to see if you have Vitamin D deficiency. Good luck!

Patci5 responded:
    That is smart research on your part. I have taken Vitamin D for years, and you are exactly right. If you don't spend much time in the sun, hey, that is where you get it. I have a full blood panel run every three months. I lowered my cholesterol by 36 points in just 3 months,some simple over the counter things, and then Blue Bell ice cream had an issue with their equipment and had too shut down for 8 months. Now I only have to do the blood work once a year and I am 72.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
    There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    128 of 159 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center