Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Tell me it's not lung cancer?! Severe symptoms and extremely worried.. Help!
    An_267172 posted:
    Please nobody just reply with 'go see doctor' because I would like to have an idea before I spend hundreds of dollars I don't have for testing. Anyways, I have had mild asthma since I was just a little kid, I started smoking about 4 years ago, and started on Birth Control pills about 6 months ago. Almost I year ago, I developed an extreme cough, coughing up all sorts of gross stuff, sometimes even bloody phlegm. I cut back on smoking, but symptoms still worsened. Wheezing throughout the day, nasty cough, amd have now had stabbing sharp pains inthe lower left side of my RIGHT LUNG and the corresponding area in my back. It sometimes effects my shoulder and goes down my arm a bit. The pain has gotten so bad the past few days that I've had to stop what I was doing. Google tells me lung cancer, but is there ANY OTHER condition that may explain these symptoms? I can't get to a doctor right now, so PLEASE somebody help?!?!

Patci5 responded:
    Pulled muscles from coughing. I smoked for more years than I can think of. Used everything they have on the medical marked and none of it works, so save your money there. I quit withe the electronic cigarette. Not those ones they sell at the convenience stores, go to a smoke shop, get the good stuff. I really think the pain you are having is from pulled muscles. Coughing really hard can cause breaks in tiny vessels in the lungs and blood can show up. If anyone wants to test you for allergies, don't let them do the blood testing, very expensive and worthless. On the back only. Prick the skin with a thing that has things that could cause an allergic reaction. Hope this helps.

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
    There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    128 of 159 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center