Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Child with Reactive Airway Disease - help/support needed
    jewelryjoann posted:
    My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disease when she was @ 5. It's been a big struggle for us and we are looking for more information and support on how we can help her with this. Any cold will turn into coughing that last for weeks and months. She has an albuterol inhaler and takes Flovent everyday. But, it still never seems to help the situation much. She is a great athlete and plays multi sports at a high-level and a simple cold can set her back for weeks. It is very frustrating for all of us and we just wish we had more information and there was more would could do. Any advise and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Also, wondering if there are special studies at children's hospitals we could participate in. Thank you.

kim_rose responded:
    I have Rads as well. Have you wrote down when she has asthma type attacks or colds, Has she been around cleaners, smoke, perfumes, dust, Diesel fumes? has she smelled anything which lingers with her. Reactive Airways dysfunction Syndrome is that your lungs react to something. My case anything with chemicals in it, as all listed above. What you think is a cold, may be the lingering asthma attack. does she have an action plan, rescue inhaler should be first response. If she has Shortness of breathe? If she has blue ish fingernails or lips, ER now. A peak flow meter will help to gauge how well her lungs are working for an action plan. She might want to start a journal writing down when she has problems and what is around her.

editor_morgan responded:
    Hi Jewelryjoann,

I'm glad that you found us but I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter has been struggling. I know that users like kim_rose will chime in with their stories and provide you with support and advice.

Here are links to information that I could find about Reactive Airway Disease:

Information about Bronchial Asthma

Asthmatic Bronchitis

Non-WebMD source

Asthma and Reactive Airway Disease -- This source gives tips on how to treat RAD both with medications and home treatments such as drinking warm liquids.

Please continue to reach out to your doctor about treatment options and about special studies that you could participate in.

I also really encourage you to look into regular therapy. Anyone whose life has been impacted by illness has a lot of loss to process and therapy can really help with this.

And talking here if it helps; even if it is a quiet board, just writing things out can help.

You're not alone ((hugs))

Helpful Tips

exercise
    I ve been trying to inmporve the slight asthma i have by exercising more More
    Was this Helpful?
    12 of 14 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center