Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/asthma/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Xolair?
    sgbl88 posted:
    I know this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what new info people have regaurding Xolair. My allergist is wanting to put me on it, and my GP has wanted me on it for over a year.

I know price is a big downer, but what other problems have people had with it?

Success stories would be great too.

Thanks,

Sonya
    FirstPrevious12NextLast

specialk118 responded:
    Well you are right cost is a big deal, you have to show the insurance that 1. you have moderate to severe asthma 2. you have increased IgE 3. You have tried/or can't do allergy shots 4. You are on allergy meds and they dont seem to be helping

with that being said there are a few around here that had great luck with the Xolair..sadly I am not one of them but hopefuly someone will come and share all teh happy news of Xolair and I do know my old docs ahd a good success rate with it in the right pt

deluxehd responded:
    I have been receiving the Xolair shot for about 7 months. I would say it is helping me.

Initially I received the shot at the hospital due to the risk of anaphylaxis. My insurance paid for the shot until I went on the COBRA insurance. It was then considered experimental and they refused to pay during my 90 day waiting period and until my IGE level reached a certain number. My IGE was checking during a time when I was on predinisone which may alter the IGE level. (That is my understanding from the allergist.)

Somehow my allergist had me accepted into a progam that my shot is paid for and I am responsible for my office visit co-pay to receive the shot.

I was told it may take 6 months to a year for me to see results due to the damage of my airways. It is difficult to say exactly that the shot is working due to many variables. But I am a lot better than I was. I received my first shot about a week after the doctor pulled me from work. Since October 25, 2008 (my last day worked) I was told by pulmo to rest, stay away from irritants and breath clean air. So I spend a lot of time at home resting. This I'm sure has also helped me get better. I've also discovered in Feb 2008 that certain foods triggered my asthma. That was a big break thru.

My visit to the pulmo dr in April 2009 showed a lung function increase approx 14 %. Which is awesome, but my airways are still very twitchy (sensative).

So long story short: I am alot better, I have a long way to go, I am able to kinda keep up with normal things like laundry and dishes. I'm getting there. Thanks for letting me share. It really helps me mentally.

Debbie

sgbl88 responded:
    Thanks for the update on your recovery Debbie. It is good to know that you are improving, even if it is slow.

Sonya

Aqua14 responded:
    Sonya, here's a link to an interesting article on Xolair: www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/07/16/asthma.drug.xolair/ Note that the president of the AAAAI is still recommending that his patients who are on Xolair stay on it. I was surprised to read just how few people are on it.

Also, I seem to recall that there's a Xolair user group on Yahoo. Someone here mentioned it a while ago. You might want to check them out.

Hope this helps. Judi

sgbl88 responded:
    Thanks Judy. That article really does help. I am wondering though, since the study referred to is observational and not random, inolves only people with moderate to severe asthma, of which I would assume the majority, if not all, have been on pred A LOT, wouldn't that predispose them to heart problems anyway?

Sonya

ericl777 responded:
    I know of people who have used it and loved it. I can be a little time consuming, like with allergy shots, and the FDA announced recently they were looking into other health issues it may be related to.

sgbl88 responded:
    Thanks for the encouragement, Kristin.

h20emmibug responded:
    Xolair has been a life-saver for me. I've been on it for almost 3 years, and it has helped my allergic asthma so much that now I am able to sleep with the windows open and even exercise out-doors. It definitely took 6 months before I noticed much, but after that, i really started to see a change. The only side effects I noticed were that the first year I was on it, I would get a low grade fever (99F) and maybe a slight headache, but nothing to really complain about. That stopped after awhile, and now I don't notice anything the days around the injections.

sgbl88 responded:
    Thanks, Emily.

pgreene9 responded:
    Hi, New to this discussion group but wanted a little help. I was on Xolair a few years ago with amazing results. My medication was paid under future medical' for an occupational exposure I received while a nurse but after a year their attorneys said they wouldn't pay for it any more. So, when I went off I got really sick (again). Now the insurance company wants to settle my claim but I can't figure out what Xolar would cost me to keep up on my own for the next 14 years until I hit medicare age? I know it isn't inexpensive but I can't locate a price anywhere. Can someone help?

h20emmibug responded:
    I get 300 mg once per month, which is completely covered by my insurance (yes, it's great insurance). On my last order it shows what they paid, which is $3,414.17 for a 90 day prescription. That would multiply out to about $13,500 per year. The price depends on the dosage, but that can be a rough guide.

butterfly9863 responded:
    First let me tell you about myself since this is my first time on this board. I am forty-five years old and was diagnosis with adult onset asthma in 2005 and COPD in 2008. I have been hospitalized several times over the last few years due to flare ups. My doctors have tried me on several different inhalers, combination's of inhalers, medications, breathing treatments, allergy shots and many rounds of prednisone. I was given the blood work for the Xolair and they found I met the criteria for the shots. I am one of the lucky ones you can say because I am totally disabled so I have Medicare and Medicaid that pays for the cost of the injections. The last statement I got from Medicare showed the the injections were right at $4000 every time I get them. I am getting Xolair injections every two weeks and have been for five months now. Unfortunately I am not responding to the Xolair and they have tried all the other things. With Medicare Xolair is the last thing they try. I had a flare up and was on a twenty one day taper of prednisone and was off of it for only a week when I had another attack with no known trigger so I am on another twenty one day taper. My doctor has had my throat checked since I loss my voice and it is just the long term use of steroid inhalers that cause my larynx to become irritated. Now my doctor finds that with no other approved treatment he is going to refer me to either Duke Medical Center or UNC-Chapel Hill Medical Center. He knows I have little life now because of my breathing and he hopes there is something that they can find ofr do there that can help. The other patients that have received the Xolair injections at the infusion center I go to and those that my lung doctor has have had great success with this. We know little of my family history. To many this drug has truly been a miracle.

elisa84 responded:
    I have a friend that has a daughter that has tried Xolair shots & this medication has worked for her child but her mother don't have the money for it and her Insurance won't pay for it she would like to know how she could get a discount rate or maybe some donated? If there is any help please get back to me that would be great.

sgbl88 replied to elisa84's response:
    She should talk to the prescribing physician about this. There are several assistance programs for Xolair. The doctor should have someone who takes care of these programs for them. One is through Novaris (the manufacturer) and then there is a foundation. The amount of help she can receive is determined by income and insurance payment.

Sonya
    Sonya http://exchanges.webmd.com/fragrance-and-odor-issues http://exchanges.webmd.com/pediatric-asthma-parent-support http://exchanges.webmd.com/politics-and-health-debate-exchange

Helpful Tips

Asthma InhalersExpert
    There are several types of inhalers for asthma. Some inhalers (inhaled steroids) are controller medications that are used on a daily basis ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    128 of 159 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Asthma and Allergies Center