Skip to content

Announcements

Attention All WebMD Community Members:

These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place: https://messageboards.webmd.com/

Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

1. Head over to this page: https://messageboards.webmd.com/health-conditions/f/pain-management/

2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

3. Start posting

Have questions? Email us anytime at [email protected]

Orgasm triggers lower back pain
    An_189543 posted:
    I've had lower back problems for more than 20 years, starting when I was 17, that were mostly fixed by a surgery at 21 that fused L4 and L5/S1 lumbar vertebrae. About 3 years ago I reinjured my back while exercising but a year ago this September after 2 years of misery received an injection in my sacroiliac joint that pretty much took care of the bad pain. However, the last month or so I have noticed that shortly after I have an orgasm (through masturbation--no acrobatics involved, lol) my pain gets very bad again for several days to a week or longer at a time. Eventually it gets better, but the obvious answer would be "don't have an orgasm if it makes your pain worse" but I have prostate issues that require me to ejaculate regularly or have problems in that area. Last night I had an orgasm and I could hardly get any sleep due to pain, which still is bad 24 hours later. I'm not clear on why an orgasm would kick off back pain, but maybe some nerves are being aggravated? Any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

davedsel57 responded:
    Hello.

Just gotta ask...are you doing it backwards?? Just joking.

Seriously, this is something you should discuss with your doctor. WebMD does have a member created Man to Man topics exchange here: http://exchanges.webmd.com/man-to-man-topics No Health Expert monitors this board, though, and I'm not sure if anyone there can offer advice or not.

Bottom line, see your doctor and discuss this.
    Blessings, -Dave

nagle5000 responded:
    Hi Anon --

Two thoughts come to mind (I've been thinking a little a bit about the anatomy and physiology of sex recently.)

1. Some people when having sex moan in a way that contracts their abdominal muscles, and some people sigh (relaxing the abdominal muscles.) On genital stimulation, people tend to vocalize much more, and will have their attention on the pleasurable stimulation and suddenly realize pain in their body post-orgams.

You may try to find the action of moaning -- if you moan during sex / masturbation -- and see if that's aggravating back pain.

2. You could isolate using the Pubococcygeus muscles via Kegel exercises -- as I understand it, these are involved in male orgasm. (I don't know this really well though; you should double-check this.) I believe the simple description of Kegels is to do the action of holding in urination and releasing in sets of 10 -- you may see if that triggers the pain.

The guiding idea here is breaking down masturbation into its component parts and seeing if any of those particular functions of orgasm can be isolated as what's causing pain -- this gives you a next step to work with.

I'd be happy to keep brainstorming with you. Let me know.

Helpful Tips

Try water therapy
    I also have had surgery for L5S1,protruding disc for sciatic pain. Everything was fine for a year. Then the pain came back and the doctor ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Spine Center